Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Mixed breed dogs-Good Hunters???? >

Mixed breed dogs-Good Hunters????

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Mixed breed dogs-Good Hunters????

Old 05-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mixed breed dogs-Good Hunters????

The hunting breeds are always focused.
I guess my wording can be confusing at times. This relates to what I've seen personally in my local dog park and isn't a rule and should probably have read, 'The hunting breeds, I've seen, are always focused.'

But for me, I would rather work with a dog that will independantly 'hunt' little critters/birds than one that just walks/runs along. You know they have something within them in which to work with. The only exception would be if the dog grew up with other pets thats similar to what you want to hunt. For instance, abird dog breedthat grew up with birds (paraket, parrots, etc.) or a squirrel dog breed that grew up with rabbits, hamsters, etc.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mixed breed dogs-Good Hunters????

Without getting into a pi$$ing match, I will allow that a pup with a great pedigree is very likely to be a fine hunting dog, but to say everyone everytime is over the top. My 84 year old father has bred Beagles for both field trial and gun hunting of rabbits. Last time I counted he has had 7 Field Champions of which 3 were males. He is absolutely meticuloouswhen it comes to selecting a dame/sire match. He has had severalpups, despite excellent training and being given every opportunity to learn turn out to be biscuit eaters.

My number one hunting ever was amutt whose ancestory I cannot imagine anyone would believe unless they saw it ... Italian Greyhound sire andAKC Standard Dachshund dame. No joke. Both registered. If I can locate the photo, I'll attach it later.Best treeing squirrel dog I have ever seen and a superb blood tracker of deer.He was killed bitten 11 times times by a 4 1/2 foot long Timber Rattler. He killed the snake ... then the snake killed him. "Rowdy" was 7.