Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs? >

Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

Old 09-21-2005, 08:44 PM

Default Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

What do you guys like for GOOD dog food for your hunting dogs?

I was using a brand called "Country Vet" and really liked it (good price and dog seemed to do really well on it) but they stopped selling it at my local supplier.

Have tried "Iams" and "Science Diet". Both seem overpriced for what I'm getting.

Anyone help me?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

For my black lab I use Diamond High Energy Sporting Dog.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:07 AM

I used to use Diamond Professional, but switched to Natural Choice. There is a big difference in quality, but there is also a difference in price. I have seen a real difference in the one dog's coat since he was switched.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:01 AM

I've fed Diamond foods and found them acceptable and they are reasonably priced. They are usually found at feed stores. Their website is at http://www.diamondpet.com/. Some advice about matching a food to your dog and switching foods is also found there.

WalMart carries some good food as well in the MaxxNutrition brands.

Generally speaking a hard-running pointing dog in season needs a food with protein close to 30% and fat content 20% or more. The lower the moisture content the better. Price doesn't always equal quality when it comes to dog food.

I don't feed my dogs the same food year-round. I lower the fat content and feed the same amount in off season. My dogs seem to eat about the same quantity no matter the fat content and get heavy in the off-season if I don't lower their calories.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:34 AM

Diamond here too! I feed the the High protien year round and up the amound I feed in the hunting season. My vet sells it and recomends it! Of course I ussually buy it from the local fur shop or Bomgarrs.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Dominant Buck

"Generally speaking a hard-running pointing dog in season needs a food with protein close to 30% and fat content 20% or more. The lower the moisture content the better. Price doesn't always equal quality when it comes to dog food."

Very true! Also see if you are getting a good price!
Divide the amount of Protien into the cost of the food
to see what you are paying per unit of Protien. Some
foods sound like a good price, but are over priced!

Old 09-22-2005, 12:06 PM

Rebel, I'm going to have to disagree with the methodology of your price analysis. It doesn't take fat or moisture content into consideration. A food can have adequate protein and not enough fat and be totally inadequate to keep your dog in condition. Without getting technical, the moisture content impacts the protein content; you can only compare protein content between brands if their moisture content is identical.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: underdog

Rebel, I'm going to have to disagree with the methodology of your price analysis. It doesn't take fat or moisture content into consideration. A food can have adequate protein and not enough fat and be totally inadequate to keep your dog in condition. Without getting technical, the moisture content impacts the protein content; you can only compare protein content between brands if their moisture content is identical.

Dog, whatI am saying is, Lets say you pay $8 for a bag
of food @ 16% protien or buy a bag for $6 @ 20% protien. How much are you paying per unit of protien?
You have to compare price of the bag to know where
you are benefiting the most on protien value.
All the rest of the food is filler. What they are charging you is really for Protien.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Dry Dog Food At A Glance www.gooddogmagazine.com

Old 09-22-2005, 01:46 PM

I use Sensible Choice from Royal Canin. After doing a great deal of research on the content and quality of the ingredients, I decided upon this product. The nice suprise is that it is really cost effective.

Quick Reply: Best Dog Food for my Hunting Dogs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.