Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Old 11-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

ahhhh nevermind
Old 11-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

I don't like dog hunting either but then again I don't think I have the right to dictate how other's hunt. I personally can't stand the sound of gun shots and while I sometimes joke that I wish they would outlaw gun season, but I would never take measures to this level to try to dictate my own beliefs on others.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:04 PM

I bowhunt most of the time but I will not hesitate to bring out the rifle during firearms season. I also wouldn't hesitate to bring out the 12 gauge if someone I know is gonna run some dogs to kick up some deer. I'm in it for the meat, which ever way I can get it. Its all fun and I enjoy it all.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:18 PM

I hope they do it in N.C. SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!! A friend of mines parents house was shot by a dog hunter Saturday. I would love nothing more than to see deer hounds and hunting from the highway banned.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:49 AM
Fork Horn

I dont know about down in NC young buck 76.. but in VA hunting from any public roadway is illegal... I dont feel a petion to ban a certain type of hunting is a good thing.. I mat not agree with the way someone hutns.. say over bait.. or in high fences.. just for example.. but if you start by banning on style all your doing is PETA's work for them... they would love to see us turn against each other...

Myself I say to each his own as long as it is legal in the area it is taking place... I may never whish to hunt the way someoen else does but its their right and if they are happy I am happy for them!!!

We have to stand united or we will be easier targets for PETA....

Personally I dont agree with the guys who run the roads and shot at what crosses in front of them and shots on other peoples property... that is not hunting in my eyes... but I enjoy the sound of a chase a few times a year myself... as long as it is done in a legal and courtous manner.... I do know dogs do leave property because they are chasing and dont know they should have stoped but the groups I have hunted with always have on person dedicated for each drive to go after them if they leave the property and most of the times this person leaves his gun with another memember of the group so he can not be blammed for doing something illegal and not just chasing the dogs, they also do not enter onto someones land witout first asking for permission when they are trying ot get the dog.. Personally thats why I perfer to hunt with beagles... not nearly as hard to catch and also bird dogs since they only sight / wind chase a few hundred yards and come right back....

As far as trying to ban it.. no I dont want to see it happen andyes I will fight that for the reasons above,even if it is not a aspect I participate in all the time...I might be open to supporting maybe not allowing it until after Dec 1 or some sort of thing like that. That way you can hutn the rut if you choose to still hunt without worrying about the dogs if they bother you.. although I have never been still hunting and hod dogs come though and ruin the day... they are easy to blame for this but more often than not they stir the woods up just enough that at some point later in the hunt that I see deer moving at times I may not see them... just my 2 cents
Old 11-10-2004, 05:59 AM

in VA hunting from any public roadway is illegal...
In N.C.(certian counties Duplin for example) it is legal to shoot from a public road if you have permission from the land owners on both sides of the road, but most dog hunters just stop and shoot reguardless of whether they have permission or not. As for the hounds I understand they cross property lines but when a group dumps a pack of hounds on your land that is posted and they have been told to stay off of then that is the point where all is fair in love and war. If a ban on deer hounds is what it takes so be it. The best option is for all of the hounds to get distemper but you can't buy it so a ban is the next best thing. Also if I wanted my woods "stirred up" that much I'd run a friggin Catapillar D-6 dozer through em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:52 AM

You have a piont. But I think hunting season for black powder should be the hole month of Nov. Bow hunter get all of Oct plus time in Nov to. I'm not saying anything bad about Bow Season.But you can't still hunt with dogs running all over the place. To me it should be like this Bow all Oct Black powder for all of Nov and general firearms for Dec to Jan.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe give them the first sat. in december would be better, I don't think you get enough time with the muzzleloader before the dogs are in the woods.

I guess banning it completely wouldn't be fair, but atleast cut it back, they get too much time to throw dogs in the woods
Old 11-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Bans are for antis! If you don't like dog hunting, don't do it. I have no problem with any one hunting method as long as it's legal. If someone shoots from the road or hits a house, call the GW immediately. Don't ruin others' good hunting because of a minority of slob hunters.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:23 AM

well don't hate it untill you try it, so many hunters give deer dog hunters a bad rap, but being with the right guys it can be a whole lot of fun. Heck have the time in our club its not about shooting deer , its about listening to dogs run. if anybody in virginina dosn't believe me and i'll take them on a hunt and prove them wrong! good luck to you fellas, gun season comes in this saturday

Quick Reply: Virginia ban hunting with dogs PETITION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.