Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Oklahoma bucks (pics) >

Oklahoma bucks (pics)

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma bucks (pics)

Old 12-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Oklahoma bucks (pics)

First off, I will start with my deer. I shot him opening morning and wish I wouldn't have. I sat all day long seeing several young bucks and a lot of does. It was getting late and I decided to scan the tree line through my scope one last time before I called it a day. As I was scanning the tree line I spotted a doe, then right behind her was a buck. I saw he had a decent rack, but couldn't get a good look before he went behind some plumb thickets. I waited a few minutes and I suddenly saw him jump the fence into my plot. It was cloudy and misting all day so it was darker than usual by this time. I could just make an outline of the deer with the naked eye. He was pushing does all over my plot in front of me. I was trying to get a good look at his rack through my scope, but couldn't quite tell what he was for sure. I saw he had a big neck and was larger than all the other deer in my plot. He finally got about 80 yards and I saw a glimpse of his horns against a tree line in the background. What I thought I saw was a 10 point frame that was wide and good mass. Huh, ends up I let my adrenaline and excitement get the best of me. I put the crosshairs on him and shot. Perfect shot, dropped him where he stood. When I walked up to him I was very disappointed to say the least. I know some people would be happy with a deer like this, but he is not the caliber of deer I am after, and for a 2 1/2 year old he was a dandy. He sure would have been a good one in a copuple years. Anyway, here he is.

This deer is one that my 12 year old brother shot the following day 300 yards from where I shot mine. He went out that morning and shot a doe about 8:30am. Him and my dad field dressed it and went and checked it in. After they got done messing with the doe, they went right bask out to the stand as quick as they could. I believe they got back out in the stand at about 12:45pm. They packed their lunch and ate a quick lunch. At 1:30pm this buck walks down the funnel area that is in front of their blind. He stops at the same bait pile the doe did earlier that day. (baiting is legal in Oklahoma) He shot the buck in the same exact spot, 130 yards, as he shot the doe that morning. He dropped them both and they would have beeen laying on top of each other. He has shot at 3 deer (1 doe, 2 bucks) and has dropped all three. The little guy can shoot, not to mention he is also lucky. His first buck was 2 years ago and it was a 120" 8 pointer. Anyway, this buck wasn't as good as his first, but he was proud of it.

Finally, to my dad. He shot this deer at 2:30pm on the Tuesday before thanksgiving. This is his biggest buck to date. This was the only deer h saw all day except for two little fawns at daybreak. He came down the same funnel area my brother's deer did and stopped for a perfect broadside shot. He dropped him and it was all over from there. We had a decent rifle season on our place just wish I would have let the deer I shot walk. Oh well, you live and learn from your mistakes. I will definately never make that mistake again.

Old 12-03-2004, 02:35 PM

Default RE: Oklahoma bucks (pics)

Millertime,
That is a very nice buck you harvested, definatly nothing to be ashamed of!
Congrats to you, as well as you dad and brother on the deer... by the smiles in the pictures, it looks like ya'll had a great time!
Old 12-03-2004, 09:05 PM

Pictures like this remind me why I just love hunting.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:16 PM
Fork Horn

Those deer are still really nice deer anywhere in Oklahoma, I sure wouldn't be ashamed of killing them.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

MILLER those are some nice bucks. The young man looks awfully proud, as he should be. What did ya think of this weather we had? Shot my buck in a thunderstorm. Man what was I thinking? Shot a nice 8 down here and took a 9 in Kansas on Wednesday. Tried to post some pics but I just can't make it work. Anyway congrats on your hunt. Time to get back in a tree with the bow and get some more freezer meat.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bucks!!! Congrats to you all!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 07:20 PM

Those deer aint too bad.Good job.Maybe yall can come hunt in Texas we got some big ones down here.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:12 AM

Very nice bucks indeed.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

We have some pretty good ones here too Crooks, I just messed up and shot one that I thought was bigger. A buddy of mine shot a 196" non typical 1/2 mile from my place with his bow. I am sure you were kidding, but I am still upset I didn't let mine walk.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

Millertime: I drove by your grandpa's place today after feeding cows and saw a nice buck right in front of your east shooting house. Looked to be a twin to the one you harvested in the pic above. I watched him for 2-3 minutes from the intersection north of Franks house.