Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Green Swamp Hogs - Slug or Buckshot? >

Green Swamp Hogs - Slug or Buckshot?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Green Swamp Hogs - Slug or Buckshot?

Old 10-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Spike

Default Green Swamp Hogs - Slug or Buckshot?

I have a Rem 870 2 3/4" 12 gauge and would like to use it on hogs in GS (FL). Only have a smooth bore barrel. Would u recommend rifled slug or buckshot? I looked at some brands not long ago but it was sensory overload; way too many options. If you could help me narrow it down, that would be great! Thanks guys.

Last edited by David2018; 10-26-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cannot speak from experience, but even at close range I would prefer shooting slugs when hunting hogs. The reason is simply because of their shoulder "plate" that limits the damage low-velocity projectiles (arrows, balls of small shot) can inflict on the vitals. I would be way more confident in the ability of a slug to induce shock from blood loss quickly (which is also better for tracking) than a handful of not quite pistol caliber-sized balls in an irregular pattern.

No need to do anything fancy in terms of brand. I'd just get some Federal Vitalshock Truball slugs or whatever other lead rifled hollowpoint slug else is cheap and available. They're unlikely to be much different.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also, make sure you use the most "open" choke you've got, whether that's an Imp. Cylinder or Skeet/Cylinder when shooting slugs.
Old 10-28-2019, 10:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by younggun308
Also, make sure you use the most "open" choke you've got, whether that's an Imp. Cylinder or Skeet/Cylinder when shooting slugs.
Thanks younggun308. I believe my barrel is a 28" modified choke but will check it again. I also have a 30" full choke barrel for turkey but know I can't use that. Thanks again!