Savannah Hunting Newbie >

Savannah Hunting Newbie

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Savannah Hunting Newbie

Old 10-02-2017, 03:26 PM
Spike

Default Savannah Hunting Newbie

Hi Everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post. Tried finding a beginners or introdyction section and couldn't.

I am completely new to hunting (and the forum).

My question is

What is the simplest, easiest hunting for a beginner? I.e. what type of game, weapon etc. all things considered from squirls with air rifles to grizzly bear ... kidding but maybe thats clear.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

i assume u mean savannah ga??you might want to look into hog hunting..plenty of cool stuff on internet about it..you are in hog country if it is savannah ga..maybe fort stewart..good luck man,let us know how it goes
Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Spike

yup, savannah ga. thx for the response.

hog sounds like good eating to me. ill read up on it

is there a particular site or thread that you'd suggest?
im asking cause i havent managed to find anything comprehensive yet.

i have the license and permit for the area but when i look at the hunting calendar it looks like there are very few days that i'd be permitted to hunt at all. again, thats all new to me so i got a bit confused when i read some people would go hunting at least once a week throughout the year.

i can easily figure out the right ammo/gun, gear, regulations and general ideas about tactics but when it comes to when and where im allowed to hunt im confused.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

actually i am thinking about going to some wma's in the area of the coast (around Darien)
go during deer season,wear orange and have a combo hunt...BUT, ironically i had a fishing trip planned for next week and i called the bait shop and he said the rental house got flooded and won't be ready..i asked him about hog hunting, he said it flooded so bad they might have all drowned..said it happened in some areas of louisiana after Harvey..i was gonna go late deer season , like about late dec.,early jan...have to wait and hear about the hogs fate..hogs are open season year round ,wma's a bit different( read regs) internet sites?? i found lots..send p.m. and i'll talk w/ya
Old 10-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

man i love savannah.....vacation down there usually once or twice a year. Ive thought of moving there and that was one of my thoughts....what kind of hunting goes on down that way. Your seasonal info is going to be available on the georgia dept of game website im sure.......if you have never hunted before id probably start with small game (squirrel/rabbit/birds) and get a feel for it then go bigger if you are enjoying it. Personally i enjoy squirrel hunting about as much as i do anything....its easy to do, dont need a lot of gear, it gets you in the woods, etc. I must own 50 books on different types of hunting, thats another thing id recommend....why learn the hard way when you can learn from people who have done it all and willing to share it with you