Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January? >

Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January?

Old 08-03-2017, 05:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Oklahoma hunting opportunities mid-January?

Hey guys, here's the deal. I'm going to be in Oklahoma City from January 13th to 20th next year. My sister is going to be running in the Miss Rodeo USA competition, and I'm going to be there with the rest of my family to support her. However, we won't be allowed to actually be with her, or even to talk to her at all. We'll only be allowed to watch the public competitions and email her at the end of the day. Silly rules, I'm aware.

Now, that's going to leave me with a lot of free time throughout the week. I was wondering if there would be any good hunting opportunities that time of year within a reasonable (that is, within about an hour and a half) drive. For example, hogs, coyotes, or even groundhogs. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Spike

You might look at black kettle wma west of okc. Great predator calling and a few hogs. 100 miles or so west near the town of Cheyenne just not a lot of good public ground near the city
Old 08-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Public hogs get better the further south you go. If you have a bow you may be able to check out cross timbers. Love Co. wma would also hold them. The problem will be deer season is just ending. The public here get pounded and the hogs normally move off till everything calms down. Coyotes would be good almost at any public area. Black Kettle and Packsaddle has a bunch of yotes but that is more around 2 to 2.5 hrs away.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Super Moderator

I checked out Lexington WMA which is about a 45 min drive from OKC this weekend and there are hogs out there but I didn't see any alive lol. There was 1 dead on the side of the road. (300 lb sow) There are several creeks that go through the area and several green fields planted by the wildlife department. Ya might be able to talk to the local warden and he will probably tell you exactly where to go as they want the hogs gone.