Coming to the southern states on hunting Holiday >

Coming to the southern states on hunting Holiday

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Coming to the southern states on hunting Holiday

Old 06-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Spike

Default Coming to the southern states on hunting Holiday

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help with some advice on hunting and sights to see in the southern states.

My mate and I are heading over from North Dorset in England for a hunting/sightseeing holiday. We're flying into Dallas on the 31st October, then the plan was to head straight to Hot Springs in Arkansas to stay with friends then their friend/neighbour who was big into hunting/guiding was going to take us out bear Hunting over 1-4th November.
Unfortunately the fella died a couple of weeks ago so the main reason for our trip has gone but we've already paid for the flights and truck hire etc.
We have to be in LAX by the 14th November, so will be driving from Dallas to Hot springs then roughly following the I40 across to LA stopping where ever has cold beer and a bit of entertainment and just staying in Motels or sleeping in the truck along the way.

Now the questions!
Obviously we won't get another chance at a Bear hunt but what other hunting is available at that time of year?
I’m into any form of hunting with dogs but my mate not so much and were both into rifle and shotgun shooting.
Wouldn’t mind a spot of fishing too if we can hire equipment somewhere?
Any reccomendations?
Bit of a long shot but can anyone help us out?
We can't take trophies back with us on the plane and wouldn't be able to afford the price of getting one tanned and shipped so trophy animals aren’t much use to us.
We just want to go out and experience completely different hunting in terrain and quarry that we're not used to. Perhaps help with some pest control?

Not much help but we could take someone out for a hunt if they ever came to England? My mate has a load of permission for rifle shooting red fox and deer (Roe, Fallow and a few Muntjac) and I could take any out with the shotgun or Lurchers either lamping at night or Ferreting through the day and depending on the time of year, probably get them out with a pack of hounds.

What sights/places are a ‘must see’ on our drive west? We don’t want to just sit on the interstate and miss loads of great stuff or nice places.
Is their places to avoid? Were both country lads so don’t feel too comfortable in big cities

Cheers for any help/advice you can give and Sorry for the length of the post!
All the best,
Luke.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

You may want to think about doing a web search for wild boar outfitters, lots of wild hogs in the south.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:32 AM
Spike

Any recommendations?
I had a look at a few but most seem really expensive to shoot a trophy boar.
We're just after a day/night after normal hogs.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check your pm box in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:34 PM
Spike

I would look into a guided trip fishing for Striped Bass on Lake Ouachita - a 45,000 acre impoundment just outside of Hot Springs
Old 06-10-2017, 01:51 AM
Spike

PM answered Thank you Oldtimr.

It looks like it's meat hogs were after as their cheaper to shoot we just don't want the meat afterwards! (truck would start smelling a bit funky carrying and BBQing them along the way!)
so if anyone has suggestions of outfitters they've used/can recommend near our route between Dallas, Hot springs and LA (or within a few hours detour) then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers Swampcat, I'll have a look at the Striped Bass fishing.
Hopefully, as Jane lives in Hot Springs, she'll be able to find us someone to take us out.

Appreciate you taking the time to answer.
All the Best.

Last edited by bullmastiff; 06-10-2017 at 02:08 AM.