Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Rut in North Central Arkansas >

Rut in North Central Arkansas

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Rut in North Central Arkansas

Old 10-27-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Rut in North Central Arkansas

How' s things shaping up for the rut? I' m trying to find out about when it' s susposed to kick off in NC Arkansas. I' ve made several calls to the Calico Rock warden and office but have yet to catch anyone who could help. I' m heading up for the opening of rifle season Nov 8th and need to know what to expect.

Any info is appriciated.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rut in North Central Arkansas

Tx,

Last night on my way back to school I saw three bucks off the road, one a small six that almost ate my truck grill, one was a nice 8 and the other was a BIG HONKIN 8 point.

I have no idea whether that means that they' re moving because of the cool weather we' ve had over the past few days, or if that means that they' re starting to move around more because the rut is drawing near.

Biologists for the state tend to believe that the rut occurs around November 14 though it could peak earlier or later then that. But the weeks surrouding that date there is usually pretty good rut phase activities going on in the deer herd. If you happen to come through Russellville or Conway, let me know and we' ll meet up...it' s be good to meet ya. Hope I helped.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:06 PM

FroMan
Are you hutning public or private land? Is there any good public land to hunt down there?

Troy
Old 10-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer I saw were off hwy 247 which is all private land...

If I' m not huntin two spots right by my house which are private...I sometimes go down south and hunt on leases with friends.

There are some really big deer up around Hurricane Creek right on the Pope/Newton county border...it' s really hilly and is walk-in access only, but there are some big deer up there because of that.

There' s some bears too...though they are hit or miss really...
Old 10-28-2003, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info, glad to hear that things are starting to get stirred up a little. I' m hoping another cool front will move down between now and then to keep things going.

I' ll take a look at the map and see if we pass through your area. My brothers inlaws live up there and he usually does the driving and I tend to daydream alot! Don' t remember half the towns we pass.

If we do, I' d love to hook up.