Quantico Hunting 2016 >

Quantico Hunting 2016

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Quantico Hunting 2016

Old 09-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Quantico Hunting 2016

Hey Guy's,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if the Deer Hunting on Quantico Marine Base will be any good this year. I have hunted there the last 15 years and the deer numbers are defiantly down but the buck body sizes are up 10-15 pounds I also noticed that the acorn crop seems to be good this year most likely because it has been a dry summer.

Any hints would be great I have not been able to get out scouting yet.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on hunting there for the first time, next season (just moved to DC area last year and not yet proficient with a bow---in the meantime, going to get one I was given tuned up next week so me and my wife can practice).
So, obviously, I cannot help other than to say that a good acorn crop probably means less deer movement in the woods, since they needn't stray as far from their bedding areas to feed.

What's hunting pressure like there during shotgun season?
Old 09-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting Pressure on Quantico is something you face all the time BOW or GUN Season because the deer are use to dealing with either Hunters or Marine's in the woods.

Gun Season is usually good for the first 2-3 weeks then after the deer get smart and don't move much during the season until late season but basically after the first few weeks of gun season the deer/bucks are laying low your best bet on Quantico if you are a Buck Hunter is to focus on the rut that's when the Bucks on Quantico make there mistakes other then that the Bucks on Quantico are very hard to hunt and you have to put in serious time/effort to find them.
Old 09-13-2016, 03:19 AM
Spike

Still deciding for sure if I'll get down there for archery or not. The last time, a couple years ago, there were no acorns and no deer to be found. Not sure what they eat, but they don't eat it where I hunt ;-)

I see them all the time when I'm just down there shooting on range 4 and driving around. I prefer 6C, but might take a look around 5B/C this year. Looked into 16F/G a couple years ago, but must not have went far enough in.

If there are acorns, then freezer deer should be available.

Last edited by taltom; 09-13-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let me know how you do, been years since we hunted there and have been thinking about taking my father back up there next season.

Did speak the other day with the head of the base conservation office. He said the numbers are looking good but that could just be the opinion of someone in charge of managing the whole base numbers for quality, not quantity. Also a heads up, heard they will be moving sometime to the new electronic check in/out system we use here at Lejeune.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I'm just checking in got to hunt on Wednesday afternoon no deer sightings but the weather was beautiful for this time of year.

I was wondering has anyone harvested any deer on Quantico Marine Base thus far I know where only about 2 weeks out but figured with the cooler weather deer would be hitting the ground.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The weather was beautiful up in DC, but today was relatively warmer than the preceding 2 days. They might have moved less as a result. Good luck on your next hunt.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Spike

I've seen a couple does come in when I'm checking back in at the GCS. I was out this morning, but all I saw were squirrels, and some turkeys were making a ruckus. So far, the deer seem to be where I'm not. I'm pretty new to hunting Quantico (and in general), so I feel like I'm having a tough time getting past all the places they could be and getting to where they actually are. I may try getting a map and charging around like a lost TBS lieutenant. Can't tell you how many times I kicked up deer looking for those stupid land nav boxes.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have hunted about 6 times so far mostly evening hunts and I have seen a two foxes and two does they should be starting to move a bit more with this colder weather coming in. The Trophy wall at Quantico has three photos of some nice bucks so far.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:51 PM
Spike

I don't know if they'll post it on the record board, but there was a guy skinning out a giant at the GCS yesterday. Easily the biggest deer I have seen in person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.