For the guys in TX >

For the guys in TX

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

For the guys in TX

Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default For the guys in TX

My wife and I are moving to TX in the morning. I start teaching NJROTC at Hebron High School on Jan 20. So far I have 2 guys that have said I'm welcome to hunt hogs and deer on their land and since I'm retired military I can hunt 3 major military installations. So, goodbye Bama, Hello Lone Star. This old sea dog is opening a new chapter of his life!

Cheers
Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to Texas, hope the move went well.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:53 PM
Spike

Congrats on moving and starting a new job!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:32 AM
Spike

LOL I just moved from Alabama to TX too. Moved from Daphne and I live in Palestine only a few miles from Athens.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Kachok
LOL I just moved from Alabama to TX too. Moved from Daphne and I live in Palestine only a few miles from Athens.
Yep. That's about 30 miles south of me. What brought you to Palestine?
Old 05-20-2015, 07:24 AM
Spike

Got a job working for TDCJ (aka Texas Department of Criminal Justice aka prison) I work at the Michael unit. Been here about a year and a half now, been saving up to buy some land in the area. Deer in the area are larger then our coastal deer in Baldwin/Mobile counties, but smaller then Alabamas "Blackbelt deer" a lot more hogs out this way then I ever saw in Bama and I do mean A LOT more.

Last edited by Kachok; 05-20-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

been saving up to buy some land in the area. Deer in the area are larger then our coastal deer in Baldwin/Mobile counties
I came to TX from Robertsdale so I know what you mean about deer size. But then I grew up in CO and TX deer still seem small to me. I've been looking at land around Gun Barrel City and Kemp. I've found a couple nice places of 10-13 acres with trees and ponds for about $40K. I'll pull the trigger on a parcel before the year is out.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM
Spike

I lived in Robertsdale for a while, almost hit a deer one night, could not have been 30lbs, smaller then my dog (beagle/cur mix) was inches from hitting it and I could not see it over the hood of my Mazda 3 LOL. Nope not a spotted fawn trust me I got a real close look at it. If you want to see big deer in TX you have to go out west, the mulies get very large.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to see big deer in TX you have to go out west, the mulies get very large.
I can go home to CO and see big mulies easier than going to west TX. I've got an old, old family friend that owns 10,000 acres in Yuma County in eastern CO and it is crawling with big whitetails and big mulies. For what they want to hunt mulies in TX it is cheaper to go home too. I'm retired military so I'll mainly hunt on Ft Hood and a couple of ranches I've been invited on. I mostly meat hunt these days so a couple does and a hog are all I need.

I lived in Pensacola for 4 years and hunted along the Perdido River on the FL side. I took a couple of bucks every year but few of them would go over 125 lbs live weight. Biggest FL deer I saw was a 6 pt my father shot that weighed 155 lbs undressed.

Contrast that to the biggest mule deer I ever saw which was killed by my grandfather when I was 9. That buck had 6 pts on one side and 4 on the other with a 42 inch spread. Field dressed it went slightly over 300 lbs on a stock scale.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the move to Texas. If you come towards fort hood drop me a line I'll show a few spots. I'm retiring next year and moving to Kansas .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.