Florida: Hog Hunting near Tallahassee

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida: Hog Hunting near Tallahassee

Old 12-14-2014, 10:55 AM
Spike

Default Florida: Hog Hunting near Tallahassee

Hello fellow hunters!

I am new to this forum and am looking for a place to hunt hogs near Tallahassee. I'm thinking about the Aucilla WMA.

Also, is it best to just walk around the woods and try to stalk the hogs or sit still?

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Spike

Are you looking for free spots? Or to lease? If lease, try South Bay Hunt Club in Mayo, Florida. If an outfitter paid type hunt, Try Perry, Florida. Otherwise check out WMA's around there like Lafayette and Lafayette Forrest.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:34 PM
Spike

I'm trying to find areas for free. I have a WMA permit so was thinking by the Aucilla River close to perry and the Piney Creek area in the Apalachicola National Forest.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:54 AM
Spike

Got ya.

Try the myfwc.com website

Here is a link to their Map of WMA's: http://www.myfwc.com/media/1380222/huntingwmamap.pdf

Then go to website and download each WMA's Brochure you wish to visit. You will need that because each WMA publishes their own seasons, and weapons allowed, many of which DO NOT match the state's hunt season dates/regs. They may also stipulate Still hunt versus stalk. Good Luck
Old 12-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Could you explain the difference between still hunting and stalk. I will Los be looking to hunt in fl in the near future and there seems too be plethora of rules and regulations. Thanks
Old 12-31-2014, 05:39 AM
Spike

Still hunt means you are stationary like in a blind, chair in the woods, Climber, or a tree stand. You must pick a spot and stay put. Stalk means you can walk around while hunting to "stalk" your prey.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

For the still hunting areas, do they assign a location or is the choice up to you? I like to stand hunt but this means you must do your scouting pre-season, it is always nice to be able to meander through new areas.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Spike

Yes. In WMA's you should pre season scout, then place stands where you want, but in permitted areas. However they dictate When you may place them(usually a week or so before season)and WHEN you must remove them (the last day of season). I have heard of hunters "losing" their fixed stands, use locks. I use and recommend a climber. However, there are times I opt for a fixed stand. Remember you can not cut limbs, trees, and can not penetrate the tree with Nails, steps, hangers, etc. Good Luck.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have never heard of hunting from a stand being called still hunting. Around here it is known it as hunting from a stand. Still hunting is moving very very slowly through the woods, one step at a time, looking all around for game before taking another step. Stalking is seeing game or hearing it and then trying to sneak close enough to get a shot.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Spike

You are correct Oldtimr. I had never looked it up. Me and my buddies always interpreted it as I defined above and did not question it. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.