Novice hunter. Needing advice >

Novice hunter. Needing advice

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Novice hunter. Needing advice

Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Spike

Default Novice hunter. Needing advice

Hey yall. I am fairly new to hunting. Been on several deer hunts with my step dad but only seen and shot hog. I have now moved to TN where my father in law has allowed me to hunt his Farm which is all ag with Soy beans and corn. Its the first time Ive really ever managed property for hunting.I put up some cameras and put down some corn and found great deer on the property. as the season approached I put down some feeders. As I have been more and more on the property it seems as though we have a good bit of coyotes as well.

I recently have stopped seeing the deer on the cameras. There are two cows on the property and they have been there for several years. Im curious if the cows are spooking them, the coyotes or if its the feeders. Ive been told different things. I thought it was coyotes but I was told if i hunt them or trap them it will increase their reproduction.

Any advice would be helpful. Hoping to get my first deer this year.

Thanks for reading!

I appreciate it
Old 09-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen deer spook as cows approached, but I have not witnessed deer mingling within a group of cattle. I have seen deer spook like crazy when feral hogs came in. However it could be that the cows have found the corn and are out muscling the deer for the grain. I am just not sure.

As far as coyotes. I have seen deer bust out like they were shot at a cannon at the sight of a coyote and I have seen deer stand and just keep an eye on a coyote as walked by within 20-30 yards. And then gp right back to feeding when the coyote left. Bottom line I don't think that it it either the coyotes or cows in the area that have caused the deer to vacate the corn piles.

I think maybe the deer have moved on to a more preferred food, such as maybe fresh dropping acorns or some nearby fields ag being harvested (soy beans , corn) ??? Not sure if the acorns are hitting the ground up that way or not. Some of the white oaks and chestnut oaks in the woods behind my house have started dropping.

You might try scoputing gor acorns and see if there are deer droppings around the oaks. If that is the case, you may have your answer why they have stopped passing by your camera location.