New to Virginia >

New to Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to Virginia

Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 AM
Spike

Default New to Virginia

I recently moved to Virginia from Ohio, will be living here until next summer and am looking for some tips, info, advice on hunting in the area. I have done alot of research on WMA's in the state. I live in Chesapeake and am mainly inquiring advice about whitetail bowhunting. From what I have read the chickahominy, cavalier and big woods wma's seem to have to much traffic for my liking. Hows the gathright wma or areas of the national forest? I am willing to drive a few hours if its worth it but cant find much reading on the different areas within the national forest. Thanks alot!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Virginia is a tough place for most new residents to find a quality place to hunt. There are a large number of folks that move into (and out of) NOVA and the Tidewater areas, so the public hunting areas get ugly. Private land is hard to gain permission unless you know someone well. National forest is not easy to hunt and I doubt that anyone will show the way to their best areas, but at least you can get away from other hunters and have a quiet hunt.

I have had guys tell me that they did fairly well on the military bases (Quantico, etc.). You might want to look at their web sites to read about the rules, restrictions, and process of applying for these areas. Hunt clubs are popular in Virginia but they can cost more than most want to pay for the annual dues.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default pm

I sent you a pm immel
Old 09-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

The WMAs and the National Forests that you mentioned all hold deer. Quantico and Ft Belvoir have great archery only areas. The spots are out there for sure. Good luck. Send me a pm if you have specific questions