Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
ALERT: WRC power grab to be able to close any NC GAMELANDS to dog hunting. We say NO! >

ALERT: WRC power grab to be able to close any NC GAMELANDS to dog hunting. We say NO!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

ALERT: WRC power grab to be able to close any NC GAMELANDS to dog hunting. We say NO!

Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default ALERT: WRC power grab to be able to close any NC GAMELANDS to dog hunting. We say NO!

ALERT: WRC’s sudden rush for power to close game lands to dog hunting!

On Wednesday, 4/16/14, the NC Wildlife Resources Commission posted a news release on their website announcing a public hearing on Tuesday, April 22 at 7:00 pm (mere 6 day notice). We urge you to attend & alert dog clubs to send representatives. We object to this dangerous rule, which provides an easy avenue to senseless restriction on hunting with dogs. Potential for abuse is enormous. Following is actual text of Notice of Hearing: “The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will hold a public hearing on April 22 at its headquarters in Raleigh to accept public comments on a proposed temporary rule change authorizing the Commission to establish still hunting zones on game lands. Under the proposed rule, the use of dogs for taking deer and bear will be prohibited on portions of game land posted as “Still Hunting Zone.” This new game land designation will provide an additional mechanism for addressing trespass and safety concerns of adjacent private landowners. Text of the proposed temporary rule may be viewed on the Office of Administrative Hearings website at http://www.ncoah.com/rules/. Before the Commission can post a Still Hunting Zone, the proposed rule requires the agency to conduct a public meeting in the area where the game land is located and requires presentation of public comments at an official Commission meeting for final determination. If approved, the proposed temporary rule change will take effect July 1, 2014, enabling the Commission to schedule public meetings about establishing potential Still Hunting Zones in respective game lands. The temporary rule will remain effective for up to 270 days, during which time the Commission will pursue an identical permanent rule. The public hearing will begin at 7 p.m. in the Auditorium Room 118 located on the 1st floor of the Wildlife Resources Commission headquarters at 1751 Varsity Drive on the Centennial Campus of N.C. State University in Raleigh. Comments also may be submitted between April 16 and May 9, 2014, to [email protected] or Kate Pipkin, 1722 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, N.C. 27699-1722.

“Concerns of adjacent landowners” is a dangerous and subjective criterion that can be manipulated and used to stop dog hunting. We are working with the Louisiana Sportsmen Alliance to salvage dog hunting in a national forest where “adjacent land owner complaints” formed the basis of a federal administrative ban of dog hunting. It turns out it was only one adjacent land owner, possibly senile, who called repeatedly and objected to any use of forest lands close to his property. Anti-dog hunting federal bureaucrats used the “concerns of adjacent landowners” to stop dog hunting in an entire national forest in Louisiana. We are concerned that prejudiced North Carolina bureaucrats would employ similar tactics to stop dog hunting in NC game lands.

We need your help to fight for the right to hunt with dogs on NC gamelands. Attend this meeting, email your comments, or mail your comments to the address listed. Support us as we fight. Join the NC Sporting Dog Association www.ncsportingdog.org. Remind your Club to rejoin and urge your fellow hunters to join today. Send this email to other dog hunters who do not yet receive our emails. Thank you! See you in Raleigh on Tuesday, 4/22/14.

Best regards, Joe & Henri McClees

NC Sporting Dog Association, Inc.
PO Box 430
Oriental, NC 28571
Office (252) 249-1097
Fax (252) 249-3275
www.ncsportingdog.org
Joe’s mobile (252) 671-1585
Henri’s mobile (252) 671-1559
Old 04-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Spike

I won't support the dog runners. I'm Sorry, but I've had to many run ins w/ dishonest clubs w/ no respect for anyone or others land. My land lease was destroyed by a road hunting club that ran my property and I was pretty much told to go to hell. "Dogs can't read signs".

Last edited by Camo Mike; 04-29-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wrote a letter to the Commission supporting their efforts in this. Sorry while I believe hunters do have the rights to use dogs to hunt, I don't think their rights to use dogs can trample the rights of other hunters. Lease land like many do or buy private club land, there is plenty out there.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

“The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission will hold a public hearing on April 22 at its headquarters in Raleigh to accept public comments on a proposed temporary rule change authorizing the Commission to establish still hunting zones on game lands. Under the proposed rule, the use of dogs for taking deer and bear will be prohibited on portions of game land posted as “Still Hunting Zone.” This new game land designation will provide an additional mechanism for addressing trespass and safety concerns of adjacent private landowners.
Good! I'm all for it. I've had hunts ruined when dog hunters intentionally ran their dogs in areas they knew were closed to dog hunting. I've even seen dog hunters from NC turn their dogs loose in a WMA in VA (In VA all WMAs are closed to dog hunting by the way) and let them run deer in a completely different state.

I have no problem with someone using dogs on private property but dog hunting has no place on public land where the dogs can ruin someone else's hunt. I fully support this.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wonderful!
This needs to be incorporated in Va. as well.
Public land where I hunt,dog clubs act they own the place.They change the concept of the hunt and ruin it for everyone else.
Clubs in NC must have abused their priviledge,otherwise,this wouldn't be considered.They made their bed,now they can lay in it.All the best to the commission and real hunters of NC.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what the others said! I ran coon hounds and beagles for years back in the 50s and 60s, but only on large enough pieces of private property that they didn't bother anyone! The sad fact now is that there just aren't enough big pieces of property to do that in many areas and if you're in an area like that it's the majority of hunters that have to be looked at first.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's an issue that comes and goes every few years here in NC. Think Topgun hit on one aspect of it. The land people hunt on is no longer 500+ acres of land and some are running dogs on land as little as 20 acres.

On game-lands, I wouldn't have an issue with hunting dogs if:
1. The land is designated for hunting dogs
2. Or the land has designated areas

Some of our game-lands are huge and a great portion of them are unused by many folks. They prefer to stay near their trucks so alot of hunters are localized near roads and access points. This is a problem already and is exacerbated when you get a group running dogs. On one game-land in particular I have been ran off the road by fellas in their trucks on the chase. Come flying around a corner only focusing on chasing your dogs and deer could have ended in a head on collision. A small undesirable group of dog hunters though will ruin it for the rest. Now may not be the time to rally your troops, but may be the time to cull the herd of irresponsible dog hunters.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
........(In VA all WMAs are closed to dog hunting by the way) ........
Since this was brought up,here is some clarification all WMA hunters will find important.
http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...tions/deer.asp .Scroll to the bottom.
Dogs may be used for deer hunting except: see bullet point #5.