Saw 3 bears at C.F. Phelps Saturday morning

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Saw 3 bears at C.F. Phelps Saturday morning

Old 11-26-2012, 05:59 AM
M38
Spike

Default Saw 3 bears at C.F. Phelps Saturday morning

Three bears walked past my deer spot this past Saturday morning. It was very cool, I've never seen a bear in the wild before!
Old 11-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Spike

I've never seen bear in the wild let alone at Pholps. Did you report the siting to the VDIGF? I'm sure they would be interested. That is very cool. Must have been a great experience.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

IS IT TRUE !?!?!?!?!?!?!

DO THEY CRAP IN THE WOODS ?

Only have seen a few in many trips. nice to see. but i did see a chicken once. NO BOLOGNA !
Old 11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Ive almost seen more bear than deer. Seen 9 the first monday in muzzleloader. We seen 13 different ones just that day. Im in the western part of the state and they are going to have to do something about them. Theres way to many of the pests
Old 11-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Spike

Did happen to hear or see and Coyotes while you were hunting??
Old 11-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Spike

I hacve always wanted to hunt bear, but I have not the first clue what to do. If there are Black Bear at Phelps, I woudl like to go there and try. Not that we share location secrets, but Phelps is a HUGE WMA. Would you share where you were when you spotted them M38? If it's going to bust up your deer hunting, then no worries. I'll research this summer and figure out how and where to go for next season, but if you're not out there I'd like to give a shot in the week of Christams.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:04 AM
M38
Spike

Originally Posted by cpljbuck
I hacve always wanted to hunt bear, but I have not the first clue what to do. If there are Black Bear at Phelps, I woudl like to go there and try. Not that we share location secrets, but Phelps is a HUGE WMA. Would you share where you were when you spotted them M38? If it's going to bust up your deer hunting, then no worries. I'll research this summer and figure out how and where to go for next season, but if you're not out there I'd like to give a shot in the week of Christams.
I'll try to describe where I was at, though my understanding is bears have a pretty big territory and may be long gone. Besides you can't shoot a female with cubs and that would be the only reason three would be together.
The first parking area off the road that runs along the border of the WMA (Summerduck Rd?) - there is a gate that is open during deer season that lets hunters drive a mile into the WMA to a second parking area. Take the dirt road from there towards the river and you will run into another dirt road that goes to the right up a hill. Near the top of that hill on the right side is where I saw them.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 AM
M38
Spike

Originally Posted by bornnraised_colorado
Did happen to hear or see and Coyotes while you were hunting??
Nope, sorry.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Spike

M38. I use to go to the top of that hill that you are talking about and go into the woods on the right about 100 yards. I know exactly where you are tlking about. I saw two guys bring the biggest 12 point I have ever seen in real life out of there. Thanks for the info. Like Isaid, I will probably go there "when legal" in late december if possible. I need to check the regs.