Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Greenswamp wma hunters >

Greenswamp wma hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Greenswamp wma hunters

Old 08-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

I aint get selected for a quota bow hunt, but do gotta couple spots in mind for GS east archery hunt ive never tried before, gonna switch it up a little bit n see what happens...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Anybody gettin out to do any scoutin in the swamp or any other WMAs in the area?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

I'm planning on checking out Chaz this Saturday.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

cool deal...They say Chaz is a purty good wma...I have been scoutin GSW for a special opp hunt i have later this year...Im on some good bucks just a matter if they will be there when i hunt it...also gonna be scoutin Green Swamp Croom and Halfmoon here soon for hunts i will be goin on in those areas
Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Chaz is ok - I killed a 4 point there a few years back. This year no does can be taken at all, not even in archery season. I have a new area there I want to check out. My favourite spot in GS is on Powder Grade. Two years ago I was still hunting into the wind on a trail there. I had a bunch of Tink's 69 on my hat & unknowingly had a buck trailing me from behind. He got within 40 feet of me & then he saw me take a step & he snorted real loud. I froze because I couldn't tell what direction he was. He blew again & I turned around just in time to see him bound into a cypress head. I like GS, but Chaz is half the drive for me. All 3 quotas I drew this year were for Chaz, so I guess I will be spending some time there.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by richwrench
Chaz is ok - I killed a 4 point there a few years back. This year no does can be taken at all, not even in archery season. I have a new area there I want to check out. My favourite spot in GS is on Powder Grade. Two years ago I was still hunting into the wind on a trail there. I had a bunch of Tink's 69 on my hat & unknowingly had a buck trailing me from behind. He got within 40 feet of me & then he saw me take a step & he snorted real loud. I froze because I couldn't tell what direction he was. He blew again & I turned around just in time to see him bound into a cypress head. I like GS, but Chaz is half the drive for me. All 3 quotas I drew this year were for Chaz, so I guess I will be spending some time there.
Nice...Dang yea the state is makin the WMAs almost impossible to harvest does...Yea GS has some nice areas with some nice bucks just takes a lotta hard work to get em...well the plus side to havin all your quots in Chaz it gives ya time to get on em.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Next week is the archery opener for GS, Im ready to get out there. Unfortunately Saturday I cant make it due to my sisters wedding but am damn sure gonna try to get out there Sunday. I started my huntin off this weekend in GSW with the hog quota hunt, it was hot wet n more mosquitos than Im fond of dealin with even though me and my dad came up empty handed we had a good weekend in the woods. For hogs I only caught a glimpse of 2 small hogs runnin into a bayhead, seen a buncha turkeys n 9 deer, six of which were bucks n the 3 i seen this mornin were 2 8's one nice the other decent and a monster of a 10 point that had to go at least 130"-140" in rack size n weigh 180-200lbs., these beautiful bucks came within 40 yds. of my stand...even though i was hog huntin it still gave me the shakes...I gotta good dose of buck fever now so Im ready to do some deer huntin, hopin i getta crack at that big 10 come the special opp hunts.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Who all is gonna be hunting this weekend? I'm going to be hunting somewhere totally different this year so we will see how it pans out. I also got drawn this week for the first muzzleloader hunt in upper hills. Has anybody ever done any good in there? This will be my first hunt in upper hills.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Who all is gonna be hunting this weekend? I'm going to be hunting somewhere totally different this year so we will see how it pans out. I also got drawn this week for the first muzzleloader hunt in upper hills. Has anybody ever done any good in there? This will be my first hunt in upper hills.
I will try hit the swamp on Sunday...i gotta feelin its gonna be purty wet parts of GSW near the river n creeks were flooded...I went to the second to last upper hills. muzzleloader hunt last year n was not all that impressed...didnt find much deer sign at all and only deer i seen was a small 3 pt. which wasnt legal to shoot ...i got the vibe that there isnt really to many deer in there...in fact no game was killed the hunt i was on...if ya look at the harvest data report for there on the fwc website it backs that up...i spoke to the check station guy n he said the past few years have been purty bad...usually areas that have the 3 point or one side rule have a good amount of deer...aint sure whats goin on in there...but good luck n hunt closer to the river...i know there is at least one down there lol
Old 10-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I looked at the harvest report for the last five years and the numbers aren't impressive but I know there a some good ones in there. I also noticed that of all the muzzleloader hunts that the first one always had the best numbers. As far as the swamp goes the spot I'm hunting this year should be nice and dry. Maybe I will change my luck some.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.