Want to film some hunting in Northern/Western Virginia >

Want to film some hunting in Northern/Western Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Want to film some hunting in Northern/Western Virginia

Old 01-07-2012, 05:50 AM
Spike

Default Want to film some hunting in Northern/Western Virginia

Hi, I am a filmmaker looking to put together a short documentary on hunting in Virginia. Any hunters out there
interested getting filmed in HD?

Here is a sample of my work, it's a video of a Civil War project I am working on.
http://vimeo.com/34702830

Last edited by michaeltn; 01-08-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Deer season generally ended on Saturday in Virginia.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by countertop
Deer season generally ended on Saturday in Virginia.
yes true but there is a late season in Northern Virginia probably due to overpopulation here

Late Antlerless-Only Firearms Deer Season January 9, 2012 through March 31, 2012

In the counties (including the cities and towns within) of Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, and Prince William, except on Department-owned lands. During this season only antlerless deer may be taken. To firearms deer hunt on private lands in Fairfax County a special landowner permit is required (see above).

All legal deer hunting weapons including bows, crossbows, muzzleloaders, pistol, shotgun, and rifles are legal. Local firearms ordinances still apply.

Last edited by michaeltn; 01-09-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

yep. Tell us more about what you want to film. And why. What's the point of the documentary? What are you looking to show? Do you want shots of deer in fields? Do you want instructions on how to find deer? Do you want video of deer being shot? Field dressed? Butchered? Who is the audience?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by countertop
yep. Tell us more about what you want to film. And why. What's the point of the documentary? What are you looking to show? Do you want shots of deer in fields? Do you want instructions on how to find deer? Do you want video of deer being shot? Field dressed? Butchered? Who is the audience?
I want to capture as much of the hunting experience as possible: preparation, short interviews of hunters, deer in the fields, the actual hunting, instructions and other knowledge could be useful as well. The interviews would be basically why the hunters love the sport, what they get out of it, how it enhances their lives. I want to capture both the human aspect as well as the natural beauty of the scenery.

It is better to have more rather than less so that during the editing process you have more to choose from to make a good film.

I am basically a photographer/filmmaker who loves the outdoors. I am a hiker/backpacker/camper and I have grown up knowing a few hunters but never actually got into it until a recent interest. I eventually want to take up hunting myself but for now just want to learn about it and film it.

Why I am doing it is basically because I have an interest in hunting and the outdoors and want to showcase it in HD video. I am doing video and photography now as a hobby but eventually want to make it a part-time career and these type of films could be used to build a portfolio for myself. But this film will not be used for commercial purposes, just a hobby film that could be good in my portfolio.

The film would go up on youtube and vimeo and would be catered that the typical outdoor enthusiast viewing audience.

I am a gun owner and member of the NRA. So shooting also interests me in general. What I am basically saying is you don't have to worry about this being some sort of anti-hunting or anti-gun film.

Last edited by michaeltn; 01-11-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Spike

regarding the butchering, it would be cool to film it but I am undecided whether I would include that much graphic detail in the film.

But as far as the learning process it would be great since this film is also about my introduction to hunting and learning about the various aspects of it. Learning about what type of rifles are used and why, the gear, and the actual hunting.

I have started collecting some hunting clothing and some netting to put around the camera and will be testing it out shooting some wildlife locally to see how it works out.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

sent you a pm