Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
MATTAPONI WMA ..... in VA .... >

MATTAPONI WMA ..... in VA ....

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

MATTAPONI WMA ..... in VA ....

Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default MATTAPONI WMA ..... in VA ....

Has anybody hunted the Mattaponi WMA....?????.....What is the woods like....thick....open.....swampy...???????.....are there any fire roads going through the place....??????....see any deer or just hunters....?????.......

Sorry for all question but I'm think about hunting it before the season is over and just trying to get a feel for the place.....

Thanks for any and all info....Good hunting and Stay Safe.......
Old 12-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted near it. Lots of low area there that can be wet or have standing water. Which can be good if you find a funnel the deer use.

Go to Google maps and type in rogers Clark Blvd Caroline VA. Just north of this you will see Paige rd. The wma is between these two roads and you can use the sat view to help you.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Krypt Keeper....
Old 12-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Typical Buck

No problem. I don't live too far away and use to work not far from there. Some big deer to be found in them swampy areas. If you look on dgif website they have a short description of the area and also a basic map.

I would look for a natural funnel near the water. Then figure out the paths used from bedding area and also a food source.

I got a small natural spring on the property I hunt. Small 3 foot wide and couple feet deep ditch but water is 1ft wide and 2 inches deep. They will walk this ditch instead of just jumping over it and I got a stand at the end of the ditch where it goes to a swamp. Kinda funny to watch. Now if you spook them yes they will basically walk on water and clear the swamp which is 200 yards wide to the other side.