HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Virginia rut?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/352156-virginia-rut.html)

TurkeySlayer75 10-25-2011 07:46 AM

Virginia rut??

Hello fellow Virginians. My season has been slow to this point. Seen some does but nothing in range. Has anybody noticed any bucks in rut? What is the general start date for Does in heat for Va?

VAhuntr 10-25-2011 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeySlayer75 (Post 3866173)
Hello fellow Virginians. My season has been slow to this point. Seen some does but nothing in range. Has anybody noticed any bucks in rut? What is the general start date for Does in heat for Va?

I watched two 8 pointers feed together just out of bow range this morning. I think the rut is still a little ways away in my area. The small bucks are starting to chase the doe now.

VA5326 10-25-2011 10:57 AM

Typically the rut in Virginia usually falls between the 1st and 3rd week of November. Look for it to heat up anywhere in that time frame. I know it's a general statement but you have to keep your eyes and ears open and check back in here (and other forums) and listen to the chatter around your neck of the woods. Some of the best intel you can get is when the deer hit-by-car rate goes up above average. Look for dead deer along the side of the road. Chances are if there are dead deer along the road every mile or so then the rut is probably on (those in NoVa disregard: ) Also, another place I get intel from is other hunters in my area. Stop by and talk to them, most guys will let you know what they're seeing, just not exactly where they're seeing it. More times than not, when the rut in full gear, there won't be any question about it. The woods has a tendency to come alive. This year I'd put my money on the 2nd and 3rd week of November. This is the first time in a long time where the general firearms opener has not started on the second Saturday in November. Giving the deer an extra week of ML season may actually let us see a really good rut in full swing this year.

VA

Eyedr 10-25-2011 12:10 PM

I agree, been slow lately. Have seen a few yearling bucks out cruising, but have yet to see anything older cruising around just yet. Been a little warm for my liking.

As for when the rut will start. I always thing Veterans Day (plus or minus a couple days) is ideal.

Stonewall308 10-25-2011 06:39 PM

Friday in Nova is supposed to be a high of 53 degrees, and I am hoping to see some cruising. I have seen an increased number of rubs last week, and others have commented on seeing the same.

I personally am hoping it kicks in early. I don't have a muzzleloader, only a bow and a rifle, so I am at a little bit of a disadvantage if there is no cruising before muzzleloader opener. I know for a fact I saw rutting/chasing the Friday before muzzleloader opener last year. I'm debating on taking one or two days off next week.

TurkeySlayer75 10-26-2011 06:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys. My hunting buddy saw some small bucks moving around some does but nothing shootable. We have a size limit on the hunt club. I have talked to other hunters and they have not been seeing much either. Hoping the cold air coming in gets them up and horny! I will be gone this weekend but hope that by next weekend things are changing for the better!

mackesr 10-26-2011 07:56 AM

It has been real slow for me as well this year. Heck, I have seen more coon this year than deer and that is unusual for me. I am taking off work on Friday and see if my luck changes. Best of luck to the rest of ya.

Stonewall308 10-26-2011 09:57 AM

mackesr, I too am really hoping Friday gets things going. Major cold snap, should be good.

QuanticoKidd 10-27-2011 06:10 PM

Been to Quantico a few times in the last two weeks it still seems slow even thought I have seen a pick up in srape activity not many rubs but a ton of scrapes this really confuses me when the deer don't move much or rut is kinda slow

VA5326 10-28-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuanticoKidd (Post 3867458)
Been to Quantico a few times in the last two weeks it still seems slow even thought I have seen a pick up in srape activity not many rubs but a ton of scrapes this really confuses me when the deer don't move much or rut is kinda slow

It'll happen, just don't over hunt your best stands before they have an opportunity to become great. Patience is key right now.