Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Virginia rut?? >

Virginia rut??

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia rut??

Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

I went to Quantico today and they are starting to kill big bucks on base they got 3 in a span of a 4 days Oct 31st they shot two big bucks and just today Nov 3rd a guy shot a big buck on mainside that had 13 points I would say the rut is not in full swing but the big deer are starting to actually move and that is a good sign next two weeks should be great if the weather stays cold otherwise we will see a patchy rut which stinks for hunting
Old 11-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

I hunted Quantico today Nov 5th Saturday and I saw 4 deer two of which where shooter bucks they are "not" rutting just yet the cold weather defiantly has them moving but they are not rutting in quantico I have talked to several guys and they also said the same thing that the cold weather has then up moving but the does are still not ready yet this will be the first time in my hunting career that I see the rut in mid Novmber normally on Quantico it's the first week on Nov chasing this year it's setting up to be borderline shotgun season which is great but stressful becuase I keep waiting for it to pop and it's not I had 3 does comes by and they where not even worried they where focused on food "acorns" and the two big bucks came by before the does and tried to call to them and they just ignored it and they never chased the does I definetly think we are entering the "seeking" phase but not chasing yet . Driving me nuts I talked to a guy that killed a 13 pointer on Monday and he said the buck he killed was not rutting but looked to be starting phases he had does underneath his stand and the big buck came to investigate
Old 11-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

QKidd,

Be patient, it will come. It's gonna get good.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by VA5326
QKidd,

Be patient, it will come. It's gonna get good.

The best is yet to come. Around Veterans day(give or take) and on should be awesome.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's ON! I shot an 11 pointer that should score mid-130s Sat. chasing 2 does. Last week & this week should be primo, hitting the woods again in the a.m.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

it certainly is heating up. Killing me that I can't get into the woods this week. Come on Sat.

Glad I had a gun with me the other day or that buck was likely to kick my butt for making him think there was a hot doe looking for a one night stand.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

I had not been seeing very many deer during archery season. This Sat. I was on stand and a big seven pointer was nice enough to stop by and make a scrape about a hundred yards in front of me. I had seen a small spike about an hour earlier in the same spot. My new CVA wolf with 110gr. of BH209 and 250gr Barnes T-EZ did the trick! The bucks neck would not fit in a five gallon bucket and he was stinking pretty darn good. Weighed in at 180lbs. I would say the chase is definitely on. Going back out tomorrow thru sat.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man, I don't get it. Only saw a handful of deer on Saturday (briefly, at that) and yesterday I went out and didn't see anything all stinkin' day. And those high temps were annoying as crap.

Maybe I'm just a crappy hunter!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Spike

I hunted last Saturday. I had a small buck chase a doe about 150 yards in front of me. I grunted at him and got him to come into range, but was unable to get a shot due to it being too dark to see. He was grunting back the whole time. I went again on Tuesday. I shot a buck that walked out on the field. He seemed more interested in food than looking for does. He stunk though. I mean the tarsal glands were strong on him. That tells me, the rut is just beginning or is in a start and stop cycle again
Old 11-10-2011, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
Man, I don't get it. Only saw a handful of deer on Saturday (briefly, at that) and yesterday I went out and didn't see anything all stinkin' day. And those high temps were annoying as crap.

Maybe I'm just a crappy hunter!
Probably just some bad luck. Happens to all of us from time to time.

People are starting to report seeing some chasing and some pretty good bucks are starting to go down in my area. I almost took this week off but am glad I put it off until next week. Starting tomorrow I have 10 days off!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.