Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
new va wma mattaponi >

new va wma mattaponi

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

new va wma mattaponi

Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by brewman555
you haven`t seen any dogs because dogs are not allowed on Pettigrew......
Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second! I've seen guys drop off dogs inside of a park owned by the Department of the National Interior and push deer out onto adjoining properties where hunters are waiting. I don't want to sound like I have it in for dog hunters, but I understand that some of them don't give a care about laws. Also what about the right to retrieve law? I don't want to speak about something that I have no education about, but wouldn't it be legal for them to retrieve their dogs from WMA property or military property that is not fenced? All I know is I guess no one knows for sure until it happens and things play out. I hope it's going to be a property that many can enjoy who like doing things the legal way, but I will hold my breath for now! JMO
Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Spike

if does happen i wont be happy about it but i glad i got some new hunting grounds to hunt on now iam only 10 min for pettgerw and 20 or so from mattapoini hope to bub it some of yall talk deer stragies lol hope spelld that right
Old 05-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Average Joe
Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second! I've seen guys drop off dogs inside of a park owned by the Department of the National Interior and push deer out onto adjoining properties where hunters are waiting. I don't want to sound like I have it in for dog hunters, but I understand that some of them don't give a care about laws. Also what about the right to retrieve law? I don't want to speak about something that I have no education about, but wouldn't it be legal for them to retrieve their dogs from WMA property or military property that is not fenced? All I know is I guess no one knows for sure until it happens and things play out. I hope it's going to be a property that many can enjoy who like doing things the legal way, but I will hold my breath for now! JMO
Average Joe ...... Look on page 36 of your Hunting & Trapping in Va book......It`s under "Dogs May Be Used For Deer Hunting EXCEPT"...There are 6 WMA`s that you can`t use dogs on and Pettigrew is one of them.....And yes people do drop off dogs on Pettigrew and have them push the deer to the back properties where they hunt....I use to hunt Pettigrew about 12 years ago and saw it happen.....And yes you can retrieve dogs from a WMA with no problem......But if you go onto APH to you will be trespassing.....In APH Rules & Reg`s book it says.......TRESPASSING....Anyone found POACHING / TRESPASSING will be subject to prosecution for administrative , non-judicial and / or criminal charges in FEDERAL COURT......As i said APH dosn`t mess around.....

I only posted this info as a heads up so no one would get into any trouble ..........Not to start any trouble.......Hope this helps.....
Old 05-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by brewman555
I only posted this info as a heads up so no one would get into any trouble ..........Not to start any trouble.......Hope this helps.....
brewman, thanks for th help and I didn't think you were starting anything at all. I'm like you. I would rather walk 10 miles to do things the right way instead of 1 mile and be on the wrong side of doing things the right and legal way! I will be looking over the property in hopes of hunting there this upcoming season along with A.P Hill and Phelps WMA. Good luck to everyone this up coming season! Ron
Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Spike

have yall been down there any thinking of going to do some scouting just wandring