Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 VIRGINIA RUT WATCH! >

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Old 10-19-2008, 04:22 AM

Default RE: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

For the 3rd straight hunt I saw zero!!! but my buddy killed a decent 6 that was chasing a cow horn spike......gay maybe???? or just plain horny???
Old 10-19-2008, 01:24 PM

Here in Raleigh NC, have been seeing a some deer hit by cars, much more than normal. Our gun season just opened Saturday and I will be going on my first hunt Tuesday. I know I am not from VA, but will let you know what I see from a neighboring state.

BTW, came back from Lynchburg, Va last night and usually see a lot of deer regardless of the time of year, only saw about 6 last might.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Was out twice this weekend - AM & PM. Saw nothing.
These places are usually good for a sighting or two, if not a harvest.
Maybe thereis something to the lunarcalander.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

Saw nothing Friday morning. It was raining though. I saw nothing in the afternoon as well. My friend hunting with me missed a doe.
Sat. morning I hunted a new spot and saw 6 does very early. The afternoon was unevntful except my friend missing another doe.
I saw tons of rubs, and some awesome scrapes. They are definatley in the mood. Another friend of mine rattled in a small 5 pt that he let walk.
Im gonna make a mock scrape on one of the properties I hunt, and I will let you know how it turns out. I will most likely put a camera on it or one of the real scrapes.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Please let us know how that mock scrape turns out. i was looking at using the Tinks power scrape starter.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted within Madison County VA. on Sat Oct 18th. Noticed more rubs and scrapes heading to and from the stand. Saw no deer moving Sat morning. I did have a run in with a bear, before day break. Quite windy all day Saturday. Hunted Sat evening within Culpepper County. Saw a few deer moving, but nothing within archery distance.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
Fork Horn

The young bucks are chasing hardcore. I've also seen some mature bucks on thier feet tonight on the way home. There was a huge buck with a doe in a bean field tonight right on the side of the road. It looked like he was nudging her around.
I doubt any does are in heat this early, but maybe the cool weather has the bucks thinking its time?
Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, each year it seems to all start around November 1st, give or take a few days.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

some good rut timing information in the most recent post here...those of you looking to broaden your knowledge should check 'er out

http://morethanapursuit.blogspot.com/
Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

We are in the pre-rut right now. Bucks primary concern right now is still food as they bulk up their bodies on fats, carbs and starches gearing themselves up for the rut. Most rubs that are being seen now are merely territorial rubs. Bucks testosterone levels are increasing but still weeks away from peeking and the rubs and scrapes being made now are establishing pecking order and dominance rank.
Also- the cold weather has absolutely no effect on the timing of the rut- the timing of the rut is controlled by the moon. Cool weather merely stimulates more daytime rutting activity. When temps are above normal or seasonal the majority of rutting activity will take place at night.
We are just a little less than a month from the rutting moon. I believe it falls on November 13th this year, give or take a day. This late moon will result in a compact more frenzied rut. As a I said before bucks testosterone levels are climbing but far from peaking. As a general rule bucks testosterone levels usually peak around November 1st. Young bucks are acting foolishly this time due to their ignorance. This is their first year they are biologically able to breed and they are not quite sure why does are smelling sweeter and sweeter every day. Which brings me to my next point- I remember someone saying that does have not come into estrous yet that is false. In fact many mature does usually come into estrous during the second week of October. It takes little time for the mature bucks to track down these first does in heat and he quickly breeds her. The next cycle of does will come into estrous about 28 days later with the period in between commonly known as the October lull.

Quick Reply: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.