VIRGINIA RUT WATCH! >

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Old 11-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Spike

Default RE: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

i think that the good stuff is over from what i have NOT been seeing. just my opinion
Old 11-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Last week was the week here in NOVA. Three hunts, three harvests - a doe w/ buck in tow, a button buck, and a nice seven-point. Was out yesterday andtoday - saw one doe. I did hear a few shot aroundme, but not like last week.The tree where I hung some scent yesterday was rubbedpretty good sometime over the prior 24 hours.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I checked my camera yestarday and had about 15 pictures on the 26th of a 4-point chasing a doe round and round an oak tree.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 AM

Anyone think the rut is still going on up in NOVA? I'm planning on going out Saturday morning. Forecast looks chilly on Saturday.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

yeah its still going, maybe not in full swing any more, but the young does are going to be in estorus. there still responding a little. I had a 9point walk by at 100yards paying no attention to a grunt, as soon as i grunted like a buck chasing a doe, he came in and gave me a shot with my bow. there still looking and will be in NOVA considering the high population of deer.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Saturday, 12/7, I hunted in Rockbridge County and saw more buck activity then during the "rut". During the morning, I had two does being followed by a 5pt. All three were just browsing along, then one doe took off running and the buck was hot on her tail. I could hear him chasing her for quite a long way. About 10 minutes later had two more does coming towards me with a 6pt in tow. The does passed by within 10 yards of my treestand and the buck winded me, but didn't take off to the next county. He just circled until he caught back up with the two does. I moved to another stand around 2pm overlooking a barley field. At 2:15 a 6 pt walked right through the middle of the field with his nose in the wind. 20 minutes later 5 does come into the field followed by a spike, and two 4pts. The bucks were staying close to the does. 10 minutes later, a 6pt (may have been the same of that walked across the field)walks through the woods, stops and stares down the hill. More does go into the field and I hear lots of grunting. Out pops a massive 9pt with major mass at 70 yards following the does and chases off the spike and 4pts. He goes back to the does and they all wonder off. West of the Blue ridge is bow only, so he was always out of my bow range. It was a cold day...8 degrees when I got up and snowed some in the afternoon.

If this wasn't rut activity or "second estrous", I don't know what is...
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

That sounds like rut activity to me.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:09 AM
Spike

Exclamation

Yeh, they did not mention the one they shot from the truck!!
Come on guys (NEW and MDS) yall have great stories but I herd theres more to them.Tell the hole story!!