VIRGINIA RUT WATCH! >

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Hunted in Culpepper VA 11/8/2008. I was the only hunter out of 4, to see deer movement during the morning hunt. Saw a really nice 8 pointer who followed a scent line of deer estrus right to my stand location. Right down the driveway, he came a skipping. Didn't give me a shot. I did shoot a very nice 4 pointer, 30 minutes later to get my first deer of the 2008 season. No does seen during the morning hunt.
I was the only hunter to stick around and hunt the evening. Got into a small finger of hardwoods in between 2 cutovers around 3pm. Caught this boy walking thru at 4 pm. Lots of scrapes and rubs but nothing chaseing does on this day.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k3...d/DSC_0006.jpg
Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Fork Horn

Hunted Friday morning (11-7) with no deer movement. Hunted saturday morning (11-8) and shot a doe at 10:45am. Three guys hunting and I sa the least deer. Other two saw 10-12 does no bucks in the morning but couldn't get shots. I saw total of 4 does in the morning. After taking the deer to the butcher because of the heat, hunted in the afternoon. I saw a six pointer chasing a doe hard around 4:00pm. Right when the weather changed, got cloudy and windy. They were only 50 yards from me but couldn't get a shot at first. They went over the knoll and I let out two loud grunts. The buck came back but caught me be suprise, I couldn't hear them running because it was in a small pine, cedar thicket. I was able to get the gun up on himbut before I could get him in the crosshairs he took off looking for that doe. This was in Culpepper County right on the Rappahanock River near the Rt 211 bridge coming out out Warrenton.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

Hunted Friday and Saturday all day. Friday I saw 9 bucks and one doe. the doe was in heat, doing the whole squating thing and all. The main buck that was with her was a giant, unfortuantly the property i hunt is bow only and i could not get a clean shot, came with in 50 yards and bedded down with her for about an hour, all the other bucks came in looking at her, but quickly took a hike when they saw him. I passed up a chance at a 140" 8 point hoping this deer would get up, never came my way, sick to my stomach is the best way to describe it. My dad shoot a nice one saturday on his farm chasing a doe, i saw one doe saturday that was it.

My friend gave me a report this morning from one of our properties, he had a hot doe, and 5 bucks under him all morning, two of the bucks were fighting pretty aggressivly. He said it looks like there rutting good this morning, 8 point came in with head down on rope looking for does, didnt pay attention to anything.

Id say its on boys!! if your not seeing them thats cause there holding up in the thick stuff with the doe's
Old 11-10-2008, 02:50 PM

Hi All,

I just moved to NOVA from Philly just before hunting season started. I haven't hunted that much this year as in past year due mostly to my crazy schedule, but I have been hunting about 3 times per week. That's been all over NOVA. Coming from Philly were giant bucks are all over the places, I figured on a little let down, but now I'm really starting to get disappointed, considering all of my friend in phily are tagged out. The past 5 years in philly i've killed a buck every that scored over 135" & my all of my friends have also the biggest just a tad over 208", archery or crossbow only.

I'm definitely looking for some advice....in all of the days a field spent down here I've only seen one buck that's been pushing 110", which is respectable, but where are all the big bucks???? I've been out scouting, searching online, talking to folks....The habitat is similar philly &the hunting pressure is seems to be less, i just can't figure it out.

Here are my stats for the last 5 times I went out & this is hunting out of 3 different stands

11/10 am 1-spike 4-doe
11/8 am 3-spike 1-3 pt 1-half rack 4pt 2-4 pts 5 doe
11/6 am 3-spike 1-4 pt 1-110" 8 pt
11/3 am 8-doe
11/1 am 1-5pt 8-doe

I also saw 6 red fox & 1 of the doe is a 1.5 yr old piebald (which is pretty cool, it's 3/4's white & I haven't seen one of those since the one I got in 2006)

I need some serious help before I sell all of my hunting equipment & start playing golf!!!!

WHY AREN'T THE BUCK WITH THE DOE?????
Old 11-11-2008, 01:01 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jms485

Hi All,

I just moved to NOVA from Philly just before hunting season started. I haven't hunted that much this year as in past year due mostly to my crazy schedule, but I have been hunting about 3 times per week. That's been all over NOVA. Coming from Philly were giant bucks are all over the places, I figured on a little let down, but now I'm really starting to get disappointed, considering all of my friend in phily are tagged out. The past 5 years in philly i've killed a buck every that scored over 135" & my all of my friends have also the biggest just a tad over 208", archery or crossbow only.

I'm definitely looking for some advice....in all of the days a field spent down here I've only seen one buck that's been pushing 110", which is respectable, but where are all the big bucks???? I've been out scouting, searching online, talking to folks....The habitat is similar philly &the hunting pressure is seems to be less, i just can't figure it out.

Here are my stats for the last 5 times I went out & this is hunting out of 3 different stands

11/10 am 1-spike 4-doe
11/8 am 3-spike 1-3 pt 1-half rack 4pt 2-4 pts 5 doe
11/6 am 3-spike 1-4 pt 1-110" 8 pt
11/3 am 8-doe
11/1 am 1-5pt 8-doe

I also saw 6 red fox & 1 of the doe is a 1.5 yr old piebald (which is pretty cool, it's 3/4's white & I haven't seen one of those since the one I got in 2006)

I need some serious help before I sell all of my hunting equipment & start playing golf!!!!

WHY AREN'T THE BUCK WITH THE DOE?????
I also have not seen a shooter while hunting. It seems like a lot of people are getting into some action, and some have yet to see any rut activity. Don't give up just yet, I think you are gonna see some better action in the next few days. Hunt tomorrow if possible(Wed.).
It's possiblethe mature bucks are still held up somewhere until the action heats up a little more. A lot of them will do thier pre-rut actvity at night until they absolutley have to be out during the day.
I think you will see a good one soon. NOVA is known to produce.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Typical Buck

Im hunting the gainesville area of PW co. and we have yet to see all the "big" bucks that we caught on film this summer,,,i did see 6 diff. bucks yesterday (11/10) while working all in the chase phase with does out in open fields ,,so i took off today tues. to see what happens in the woods,,,my sons off from school today so im hopin we can hook up with a couple shooters. thanks for all the great info,,i've been checkin this thread out everyday to see what ya'll have been experiencing,,,Good Luck to all
Old 11-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

GOOD luck gentlemen, these are the temps we have been after! Today(tues) and tomorrow should be good. I know some of you will score.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'll be out in the GWNF on Thursday. Even though I work nights and get home around 9:00 am, I an NOT going to go to bed when I get home. I am going to grab my bow (one last time before rifle season) and my gear, and head out. The temps are perfect right now and I'll at least be able to do an afternoon hunt and a Friday hunt (I'm off on Fridays).

Good luck, guys!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Spike

I've been hunting alot lately and haven't seen much activity. I've let a few small bucks go; none of which acted rutty...they walked right by some does and payed them no mind at all. This morning(Tuesday) I saw a forhorn and a big 6 hanging out with a doe. The big 6 was keeping the forky at bay and wouldn't let him get near the doe. Its getting good.

wait wait...*sniff*sniff*...do you guys smell that?*sniff*sniff*....its getting a little stronger........*ssnnniiffff*...starting to smell a little RUTTY!!!

I believe this week and especially next week are going to be hot and heavy(both the hunting and the local bucks' sex life)

P.S- I hunt down in Rockbridge Co.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Three days counting today till the moon. Each day this week things will pick up. Congrats everyone we are now in the seek phase. Look for some intense chasing later in the week.

Quick Reply: VIRGINIA RUT WATCH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.