logo

Go Back   HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Fork Horn

Send a message via Yahoo to cutter81
Default What to plant in Alabama?

I need some suggestions on what and when to plant in Alabama. Im located in west/central Alabama. I've had alittle success getting my green fields to grow in the past, but Im looking for a couple more ideas of some things that have worked for other people so help me out.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #2
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What to plant in Alabama?

Columbian Gold
Jesus said, "he who stands firm to the end will be saved" Mark 13:13.

Live Life in such a way that those who do not know Christ will come to know Him because they know you

"In God We Trust"
Rebel Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Fork Horn

I've used Antler King products the last few years and seeing more and more deer, bucks, each year. Be sure to totally get rid of weeds prior to planting and lime, lime, lime! I lease land near Pine Hill. Good luck, but them deer really liked the antler king!
Muzzy 100 4-blade
strutnbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Nontypical Buck

I'd just throw a mixture ofsome wheat oats and rye out around the 3rd or last week of september, depending on whether you wanna bow hunt the area or gun hunt only. I've planted as late as two weeks before gun season comes in, mid November, andhad no problems. Make sure you disc the plot at least 3 weeks in advance and let some rain hit it, then disc it again and drag it before you plant. Make sure toapply some triple 13 fertlizer on it and plant before a rain, then sometime in December throw some nitrogen on it, it'll green up real nice. Big Buck Blend from your local Co-op works really well, it's a mixture of wheat oatsrye and your choice of either clover or peas. I've planted the clover big buck blend past 2 years, makes for a nice plot. I've heard Tecomate makes nice plots for less suitable terrain and soils.
2010 - Roosted n Roasted
2009 - Flock Busters
2008 - Defending CHAMPS, Tominators
2007 - 1ST PLACE, Tominators

Southern Strut True Custom Calls
- Custom Friction Pot Calls
- Hand-Crafted One-Piece Strikers
- Mouth Calls

https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...11118432253360

SouthernStrut56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Boone & Crockett

Buck Forage Oats with a grain drill and over seed with Yucci Arrowleaf clover is what I plant.
timbercruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #6
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
I've planted as late as two weeks before gun season comes in, mid November, andhad no problems. Make sure you disc the plot at least 3 weeks in advance and let some rain hit it, then disc it again and drag it before you plant. Make sure toapply some triple 13 fertlizer on it and plant before a rain, then sometime in December throw some nitrogen on it, it'll green up real nice. Big Buck Blend from your local Co-op works really well, it's a mixture of wheat oatsrye and your choice of either clover or peas.
I agree, we usually don't plant our fall plots till mid-october. We use the "Big Buck Blend" also, and some years we mix it ourselves. Those winter peas always seem to attract pretty good.

Good luck.

Trae
Goose 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #7

Check out this page produced by the Alabama wildlife folks..

http://www.outdooralabama.com/huntin...rfoodplots.pdf

As you will see, a soil test is mandatory. I have a place in South Alabama and after liming a few times, my p.h. is perfect and my plots thrive. I am still experimenting with different seed mixes, but, rye grass is almost fool-proof. It doesn't provide the best nutrition for the deer though, and if your neighbors have something more palatable, the deer will be in their plots more than yours. Your soil test is the first step, to decide what will grow well in your soil. There are products that grow well in acidic soil, but, most need a neutral p.h. to thrive. The Whitetail Institute (http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/) sells a product that is called EXTREME, and it worked well in my plots until I got my p.h. right. Now I can experiment with perennials like clover and such. If I care for the perennials properly, I only have to plant once every 3 - 5 years.
Good Luck!