Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Hunting advice for MS and KY >

Hunting advice for MS and KY

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting advice for MS and KY

Old 07-26-2008, 05:05 AM

Default Hunting advice for MS and KY

I'm new to the hunting world (extremely sad considering I'm 22) and was wondering if I could get any advice on hunting in MS. I'm currently deployed to the Middle East with my Batallion, but will return before the season starts. Also, I will be taking leave to go back home to Kentucky in late December and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on hunting back home as well. I've already got my weapon in mind, but have absolutely no clue how to get out there and start takin down some bucks.Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunting advice for MS and KY

For deer hunting in Mississippi once you have the gear you need to find somewhere to hunt. If you don't have somewhere private to hunt there are some public areas you can hunt. If you go to the Mississippi department of wildlife, fisheries and parks www.mdwfp.com there is a lot of things that can help you out such as regulations, etc. I believe they also have a forum. The local forums help out a lot more for starting out. A book such as Whitetail Strategies would be a good read to help you out a lot or some other book. But basically you get a gun, find where the deer are (through scouting, deer trails, rubs, scrapes). Easiest place to find them is at a food source. Hunt early morning or late evening. Easiest way to hunt isstill hunting (also known as sit or stand hunting) where you sit in one place deerusually travel. Try not to move to much and and stay quiet until one comes by. They have really good eyesight and an even better sense of smell and hearing. The wind needs to be blowing away from where the deer are so they don'tsmell your scent. When he comes by put the cross-hairs just behind the crease of the shoulder and squeeze the trigger. If he doesn't drop follow the blood trail until you do. Gut him. Drag him out, skin him, put him in a deer body bag, take him to the deer meat processor or butchershop. You need to find someone to hunt with you that has hunted before if possible.
For squirel hunting take a .22 long rifle, walk through the woods looking in the trees, preferably around oak trees because of acorns.
For rabbits you really need hunting dogs.
For turkeys you need to learn how to use some type of turkey call. Easiest is a friction slate call or box call. In the spring go to where they might be (through listening and scouting) listen for them gobbling, get close, call (tips of the national wild turkey federation web site) shoot the head within 30 yards with a shotgun with turkey shot. Other tips on the wild turkey federationwebs site.
Remember you will need a hunting permit and need to take a safety course.
For hunting any other animals go to the mdwfp forum for help, there are other website articles for starting huntersjust google the type of hunting.
Any other questions just ask me.
Good Luck.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:04 AM

That's a whole lotta knowledge and it's much appreciated! I want to try my hand at bow hunting because a good buddy of mine wants to hunt when I go home to visit and bow is the only thing that'll be in season back in KY at the time. My Gunnery Sergeant is going to take me hunting once we get back to base in the states, so I've found my hunting partner. I've already got a shotgun in mind I'm buying, but what else would you suggest I should probably pick up (camo, supplies, etc.) before I go hunting with him? I'm willing to put a lot of time, effort, and money into it since I love fishing and being outdoors already. But, at the same time, I don't want to be draining my wallet for cash just on camo or something. Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Fork Horn

Deer Hunting:
(these are some things that would help you when you are hunting, not all are essential, you can decide on what you might need, or what you want)
Here is some gear I suggest:
For camo I would suggest a cap with a half face mask, full face mask, or even camo face paint(masks are easier). Some people don't where a face mask at all, but even though you seem like a deer won't look up a tree, or wherever you are, at you they will. They have adapted to hunting pressure. If one does spot you just close your eyes and don't move(usually they will keep on as usual). For a shirt in hot weather they make lightweight shirts or mesh type shirts(needs to be long sleeve to cover skin). Camo jeans for pants. For boots in hot weather you can wear any type of boot that is comfortable. I would suggest a snake proof boot though. Depending on where you are hunting you may need rubber boots(they have insulated and non-insulated rubber boots). Lacrosse makes a good rubber boot. Also get a lightweight pair of camo gloves, because that is the part of you that will be moving the most. For cold weather you will need a insulated jacket. If you plan on hunting in rain during anytime of the year I would suggest a 3-1 parka. It can break down into parts, so you can take out the insulation, and its rain proof. A good pair of insulated gloves, socks, and face mask are suggested because your toes, fingers, ears, and nose gets coldest first. Insulated pair of camo pants. For extra warmth or warmth when not using insulated clothing, a good pair of long underwear helps. Underarmour works the best but its more expensive.
Other gear you may need is a good flash light because if you hunt in the morning you want to get setup and ready before it gets daylight. In the afternoon you want to hunt until its dark.
For bowhunting you need, of course, a bow with its needed accessories(compound bow=release, arrows(can't go wrong with carbon arrows),broadheads, sights, quiver to hold your arrows). There are other accessories that could go with it. If you buy a bow at a outdoors store, try to find one that can setup and tune your bow for you, because they can usually tell you everything you need. Always ask questions to have the general knowledge of everything and let them know your a first time hunter. These people usually know better than anybody about what is needed. Try to practice shooting as much as possible. First at close range then further back, and off an elevated platform(it makes a difference than on the ground).
When bowhunting you can hunt from a tree stand=which is a platform and seat up a tree with steps(ladder) to get up the tree. The other is a climbing stand= a setup with a platform and seat that you have to shimmy up a tree. When up a tree in any kind of stand ALWAYS wear a safety harness attached to the tree. Way to many people die each year because they fall from a stand because they weren't wearing a safety harness. I know a guy who fell from a tree stand last year and broke his neck, now he's partially paralyzed. If he would have worn a safety harness he would have been alright no problem.
Other gear you need is a pocket knife( they always come in handy). Cushion seat for hunting on the ground against a tree. You could get a ground blind if you want. Ground blinds range from $12 to $400 for the more elaborate pop-up blinds. For bowhunting you don't really need binoculars because they are usually alot closer unless you want to get a range finder. Gun hunting you want a good pair of binoculars. You don't really need either unless your planning on long range shots, but a small pair of binoculars are always good for close range hunting( such as bowhunting, shotgun, or muzzleloader) to be able to look at deer that are through the woods or out of range.
Types of calls: I would suggest getting a grunt call. The Knight & Hale E-Z Grunter is the one I would suggest. The grunt call is the only callthat you "need". You can use it all season in any situation. Early season just a few short grunts every 15 or 30 minutes is all you need. Later in the season when they are rutting and chasing does you can get more elaborate with longer grunts. You can find more info about using a grunt call on the internet articles. When they are rutting there are also calls you can use such as rattling antlers to simulate two bucks fighting over territory, snort-wheeze, doe bleat which simulates a doe ready to mate (works really good)Primos makes the "can" bleat which is easy to use, and the buck growl simulating a buck really ready to mate( its a newer product but works good during the real intense part of the rut).
Cover Scents and scent eliminators: Before going hunting its good to spray with a scent eliminator spray all over your camo. The cheap brand works just as good as the expensive ones. Using a non-odor deoderant helps, the less human scent the better. For cover scents and attractants there are acorn sprays and doe urine sprays, which work good year-round. Vannilla extract works really good also year-round. There are deer attractant liquids you can put on cotton wicks and hang on branches around your area. During the rut, you can use dominant buck urine, doe-in-estrus works really good, and other attractants.
A small camo backpack with alot of pockets helps alot for keeping your gear organized and with you for when you need it.
Another item that I have just rescently started using is a Therma-cell. During the warmer months mosquitos and other bugs will irritate you alot, sometimes mosquitos are unbearable. The Therma-cell is a little device that keeps all the bugs away. It uses a butane tank about an inch or two long. You slip a little pad in the Therma-cell and when it turns on it heats up the pad and releases a chemical or scent that keeps the bugs away. The therma-cell is hand held and you just put it beside or under you when you want to keep bugs away. It has replacement pads and butane cartridges you can buy.
There is alot of gear out there that youcan get. You don't have to over-load your self with too much stuff. Just get what you think you will need.
I may have forgot a few things.
If you need to ask anything else just ask me.
Good Luck!