Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Scent Control

Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent Control

i posted this in another thread and since i broke down my scent control procedure i figured i would copy and paste it here for my Southern friends. i hope this helps some and if you have more good idea's, post them here.

here is my scent control routine:

when my hunting clothes are not being worn, i keep them tied up in a non scented plastic trash bag. the night before my hunt, i wash all of my hunting clothes (including under wear and socks) in scent free UV killer detergent (Scent A Way brand). i also use the dryer sheets that make your clothing smell like dirt (also Scent A Way). once my clothes are done, i immediately take them outside and hang them on my porch. when i wake up the morning of my hunt, i shower using Scent A Way shampoo and body wash. prior to getting dressed i use Scent A Way deoderant. i then walk outside on my porch and get dressed. i also always fuel my truck up and load all my gear the day/night before my hunt. i drive straight to the woods not stopping. once in the woods and parked, i exit my truck and get my gear ready that i tote to my stand. i spray down with scent killer (Scent A Way) just before leaving my truck and walking to my stand.

i have no preference to what brand of scent eliminator/killer i use because they are virtually all the same. Scent A Way is just what my local Wal Mart stocks. hope this routine helps someone. by the way, i filled my freezer last year with 4 deer (3 bucks and 1 doe) and passed on a bunch more. i am contemplating on buying another deep freezer this year.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Control

Thanks !
Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Four deer in Florida, I need to drive over to Lake county!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Spike

camocop, i do basicly the same things but here are some of the things i do in addition. i bought a twin bed sheet that is washed in scent free soap andbungi it to my seat to try to prevent any scent transfer to the driving coveralls and base layer i wear driving to the parking area. then i slip out of the coveralls and tennis shoes, put on the hunting clothes and boots that are kept in 2 seperat large zipplock bags. during the offseason i keep everything i hunt with (except the rifle and bow) in rubbermaid tubs to try to prevent contamination. it sounds like alot (it is) but like you, last year i killed 3 doe and 1 buck and passed on several other smaller animals. all of them were within 40 yrds, easy smell range. as ive got better at scent contamination controle, ive seen and killed more deer.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

yup, my biggest achievement was quitting smoking. since then i have seen alot more deer aswell.