Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 central florida public land >

central florida public land

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

central florida public land

Old 05-08-2008, 03:26 PM

Default RE: central Florida public land

^ wow thanks for that help, that is deffinately a place i want me and my dad to hunt this year, thanks for all the help guys. does anyone konw about the other places?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

A little warning about 3 lakes. It does have some deer, some pretty good deer, but not anything close to what it used to have. I had not hunted there for about 10 years, but my wife and I drew muzzle load. permits 2 yrs ago. We left after the second morning. Them boys drive all over, even off "named or numbered" roads as it says in the pamphlet. Technically, you are allowed to shoot from the truck, as long as it has come to rest and is not under power. We walked 1.89 miles from the nearest named or numbered road and still had people driving in on us though! We did see 3 bucks and shot one, but some of them boys are just A-HOLES! I'm not the type to gripe about other hunters, etc., but they have no respect for anything. The only way that I would go back is if I drew the Prairie Lakes unit which happens to get patrolled and has better deer. Just my 2 cents.....
Old 05-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Well I was just out turkey hunting at seminole ranch this past year. As far as terrien goes it has large open pastures with cows surrounded by heavely wooded areas. It does have some food plots for the cows and does seem like it would be a good area. I have heard tosohatchee is a good wma to hunt but I dont know first hand. Honestly all the areas you named are good places. The number one thing you have to do is put in the time and figure where and how the deer are moving, eating, etc. My big thing would also be drawing the opening day hunts. Get out there when the hunting pressure hasnt hit them full force. AlsoLook at the wma maps onthe fwc website and look at through with google earth to get an idea of what the place is like. Well best of luck to you this season.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

A little warning about 3 lakes. It does have some deer, some pretty good deer, but not anything close to what it used to have. I had not hunted there for about 10 years, but my wife and I drew muzzle load. permits 2 yrs ago. We left after the second morning. Them boys drive all over, even off "named or numbered" roads as it says in the pamphlet. Technically, you are allowed to shoot from the truck, as long as it has come to rest and is not under power. We walked 1.89 miles from the nearest named or numbered road and still had people driving in on us though! We did see 3 bucks and shot one, but some of them boys are just A-HOLES! I'm not the type to gripe about other hunters, etc., but they have no respect for anything. The only way that I would go back is if I drew the Prairie Lakes unit which happens to get patrolled and has better deer. Just my 2 cents.....
You're 100% right on!......I always hunted hogs on the other sideof the Turn Pike and not many A-Holes around there.One year they were geting out of hand in the Camp grounds and that's when we called it quits on Three Lakes, after 5yrs of it..We liked the Camp Grounds off Williams Rd cause we could spot the trailer easy.

I started going to Three Lakes after 11 yrs at Cross City (Stienhatchee)&Perry, also6 yrs at Aucilla WMA.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 PM

teh three lakes prarie do you need a qutoa the whole season or just for the first nine days.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:45 PM

I know it is hard to get a deer or see one if you dont know the land, but how do you get in there and scout if you cant use a vehicle once you get there??? cause that is how it is at the other WMA's we hunt, or are the ones i named not like that.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Fork Horn

go to fwc's site and read the pamphlet.. You can drive on named and numbered roads that go thru the wma, they're dirt and some are mud, so have a 4wd if you want to be able to go everywhere. I took our 4 wheeler. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM

^ thanks, (I wish i had a 4 wheeler) but i have a truck that is a 4x4 so i am good.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:22 AM
Dominant Buck

but how do you get in there and scout if you cant use a vehicle once you get there???Millerhunter

Most of the WMAs ;if not all, are open all year for bikers and hikers..YOu simply park outside of the gate .and go in through a 3 foot entrance.At Three Lakes the roads are open 365 days a year for birders..Anyone can drive on in. They are never closed.They do want you to leave money in a wooden box at the entrance .It's about 3.00. The Red Cockcaded Woodpecker is on the endangered list and they have many nest boxes in there. Florida has a big birding interest..Florida is #3 for the best birding state.

It's been my experience that once you find a good deer hunting spot..you can hunt that same area every year..
Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt81390

Well I was just out turkey hunting at seminole ranch this past year. As far as terrien goes it has large open pastures with cows surrounded by heavely wooded areas. It does have some food plots for the cows and does seem like it would be a good area.
LOL....the food plots aren't for the cows silly, they're for the doves come dove season,the cows just find their wayinto them sometimes,lol......How did you do out there during turkey?this is my 2nd Seminole bird, took years to get him but i finally did.....

Toso. and seminole are both ideal W.M.A.'s....the problem is that everyone wants to hunt them and the hunts are almost impossible to get because everyone is always putting in for them and if you don't have any rejections, it's tough....even with rejections, it's tough.
i agree with what they've said about 3 lakes and bullcreek......i try to hunt all 4 of them every season, but i didn't get out to 3 lakes this year.....i would have if i hadn't limited out on turkey early, oh well....lol....

Quick Reply: central florida public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.