Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Elk in Arkansas >

Elk in Arkansas

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Elk in Arkansas

Old 04-02-2008, 01:47 AM

Default Elk in Arkansas

Has anybody on here ever hunted Elk in Arkansas. I live in MO and have put in for a drawing the past couple of years with no luck. Just curious how it is and if there will ever be a time when you can hunt elk without having to be drawn.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk in Arkansas

Yeah. I killed a non-typical up there 4 years ago. It was a 6x7, but really wasn't that big. They'll always be permit hunts. Their numbers will never expand much more than it is now---due to habitat restrictions.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Spike

The thought of elk here still strikes me as very strange.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can't wait til they come into IL.......shawnee nat'l forest.....someone killed one a few years back. But ya I think they'll keep their numbers pretty low....

Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've put in for the draw every year it's been available. No luck yet. The bad part of it, IMO, is that's just what it is, A DRAW. No preference points when not drawn. A first time entrant is just as apt to draw a permit as me.

Oh well, can't do anything about it. Can't get drawn if your name's not in the pot.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Spike

I live real close to where they first placed the elk in arkansas and , the population is growing quite fast, they have started placing more elk all along the buffalo river , over this season we watched 3 heards of over 30 elk in each heard , and i have pics of over a dozen bulls on one spot of the river , we have even seen a bull on top of jasper mountain. so they have plenty of habbitat and what not!!!!!!!!! and ya ide say that one day you will not need to be in the drawing if you are a resident .
Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Am I mistaken or ... is not the Arkansa elk draw open only to an Arkansas resident with the exception maybe of "auctioned" permits? I think one is auctioned off each year to benefit the RMEF.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Spike

No your not mistaken, you have to be an arkansas resident to be in the drawing , i just beleave that the elk population is growing fast enough that maybe one day we wont have to have a drawing for residents but a drawing for foreigners
Old 05-04-2008, 05:23 PM

i had never noticed that you had to be a resident to be drawn for an elk hunt. guess that puts me out of luck
Old 05-06-2008, 05:25 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, this is a resident only hunt witha exception, I beleive a couple of hunts is auctioned off by Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation to non-resident hunters