va hunting on private property >

va hunting on private property

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

va hunting on private property

Old 11-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default va hunting on private property

I was having a debate with my wife about hunting on private property.

do you have to have a hunting licenses in Va to hunt on private property?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: va hunting on private property

If you own the land no, if your familiy owns the land no, and if I'm not mistaken you dont neet one if you are a in-law of the owner.

Go to the Va dept. of wildlife web site and it will tell you.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:23 AM
Typical Buck

Iron nailed it, if its owned by family, you are safe, if it is just a friends land, you need to get a tag...and believe me, chances are the warden will come by at some point and check, i have been asked to show my license the past 3 years when hunting my friends farm
Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

Yep. GW checked me on my grandpa's land when we informed him we didn't need licenses he claimed we did and he'd "give us a break." since we were on our land. That was his first year as a GW or newly CPO Conservation Police Officer.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

So if you own the land you dont have to tag the deer you shot on it?
I guess if you shoot a monster it wont be eligable for the VDC or any record books. I thought no matter where you shoot a deer, on your land or some one elses, all deer needed to be tagged. I guess I'm wrong?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Typical Buck

Hunting Licenses & Permits
Residency Qualifications:
[ul][*]Persons who have been a bonafide resident of the city, county, or state for six consecutive months immediately preceding the date of application for license.[*]Persons who have been domiciliary residents of the state for at least two months upon approval of a completed affidavit to be furnished by the Game Department.[*]Legal voters in Virginia.[*]Members of the armed forces if they reside in the Commonwealth and are on active duty and are stationed at military installations within, or on ships based in the Commonwealth.[*]Students (including nonresident students boarding on campus) residing in Virginia who are enrolled in bonafide Virginia schools.[*]Unnaturalized owners of real property in Virginia who have resided in a county for five years immediately prior to making application for a license may apply for resident licenses only in the county where they qualify. [/ul]
Every person who is required to have a license must carry such license and shall show the license immediately upon demand of any officer whose duty it is to enforce the game and inland fish laws, or upon the demand of any owner or lessee, or any employee or representative of such owner or lessee, upon whose land or water such person may be hunting, trapping or fishing.
No state or county resident licensed to hunt, trap or fish in or on the lands or inland waters of this Commonwealth shall be deemed to be issued until the certificate printed on the reverse side of that license shall have been signed by the named licensee.
Exceptions
All persons, except those listed below, must purchase the proper licenses before hunting or trapping. Where exempt, the exemption means the individual is exempt from the basic hunting license, bear, deer, turkey license, archery license, crossbow license, muzzleloading license, and Virginia Migratory Waterfowl Conservation Stamp.
[ul][*]Resident or non-resident landowners, their spouses, their children and grandchildren and the spouses of such children and grandchildren, or the landowner?s parents, resident or non-resident, do not need a license to hunt, trap or fish within the boundaries of their own lands and inland waters.[*]Tenants, on the land they rent and occupy, are not required to have a license, but must have the written permission of the landowner.[*]Residents, 65 years of age and over, do not need a license to hunt or trap on private property in their county of residence.[*]Residents under the age of 12 are not required to obtain a license to hunt provided they are accompanied and directly supervised within sight of an adult who has a valid Virginia hunting license on their person.[*]Residents under the age of 16 are not required to have a license to trap when accompanied by any person 18 years of age or older who possesses a valid Virginia trapping license.[*]Any person who is not hunting, but is aiding a disabled person to hunt when such disabled person possesses a valid Virginia Disabled Resident Lifetime hunting license or a Virginia Resident Disabled Veteran Lifetime license is not required to have a license.[*]Any Indian who "habitually" resides on an Indian reservation or a member of the Virginia recognized tribes who resides in the Commonwealth is not required to have a license; however, such Indian must have on his person an identification card or paper signed by the chief of his tribe, a valid tribal identification card, written confirmation through a central tribal registry, or certification from a tribal office. [/ul]
No one is exempt from purchasing a resident or nonresident Bonus Deer Permit or purchasing Federal Duck Stamp or obtaining a HIP number if hunting migratory game birds.
Archery/Crossbow/Muzzleloading License
Old 11-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

You still tag it you just don't need a license. Just tell the person it's on your own land.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckshot101

You still tag it you just don't need a license. Just tell the person it's on your own land.
Correct, you still have to check it, you just don't need a license if it's yours or your familysproperty.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default License question

So how does it work when you check a deer in under license exempt and you end up buying your license a few weeks later to go hunt other property where I have to have license
Old 10-24-2021, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

This topic stopped 14 years ago and none of the posters appear to be currently posting. You're not likely to get a response.