Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 virginia blackpowder season >

virginia blackpowder season

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

virginia blackpowder season

Old 10-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default virginia blackpowder season

i had a friend tell me that he heard that blackpowder season might be closed . Has anybody else heard anything about this?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: virginia blackpowder season

I hadn't heard that. very doubtful that it would happen
Old 10-21-2007, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

From the vdgif website....
Richmond, VA — The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries (VDGIF) and the Virginia Department of Forestry (VDOF) are urging hunters and other outdoor enthusiasts to use extra caution while in the woods. Extremely dry weather conditions have prompted Gov. Tim Kaine to issue a statewide open air burning ban beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, October 19. The ban will remain in effect until conditions improve with significant rain and/or snow.
The Early Archery Deer Season is underway statewide and the Muzzleloader Deer Season and General Firearms Deer Season will be opening in November. The agencies offer the following tips to hunters, campers, hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts:
Remember, with the burning ban, campfires and other open flames are not permitted.
It is recommended that you not smoke in the woods, but if you do, be careful when lighting and extinguishing cigarettes. Never throw a cigarette butt from your vehicle window or leave burnt cigarettes behind.
Do not park on dry grass or leaves. Your vehicle’s exhaust and catalytic converter can easily start a fire.
Keep spark arresters on chain saws and on off-road vehicles.
Carry an extra water bottle in case you need it to extinguish a small fire or sparks.
Keep your cell phone charged and call 911 to report fires.
The remote chance of starting a fire in dry leaves and brush with a muzzleloading firearm comes from the unburned powder that is shot out of the muzzle of the gun. Most muzzleloading hunters no longer use the primitive black powder “patch and ball” type ammunition, but those who do should follow the shot path, checking the area 15 to 25 yards along the shot path for the hot patch to make sure it does not ignite any dry leaves. It is recommended that they stay in the area for five minutes after shooting to watch for and extinguish any smoldering embers.
For more information on fire safety and regular updates on the status of the burning ban, visit the VDOF Web site at www.dof.virginia.gov. For more information on hunting, seasons and regulations, visit VDGIF Web site at www.dgif.virginia.gov or HuntFishVA.com.
It is the mission of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to maintain optimum populations of all species to serve the needs of the Commonwealth; to provide opportunity for all to enjoy wildlife, inland fish, boating and related outdoor recreation; and to promote safety for persons and property in connection with these outdoor activities. For more information, visit the Department Web site at www.dgif.virginia.gov.
The Virginia Department of Forestry protects and develops healthy, sustainable forest resources for Virginians. Headquartered in Charlottesville, there are Forestry staff members assigned to every county to provide service to citizens of the Commonwealth. VDOF is an equal opportunity provider.
With nearly 16 million acres of forest land and more than 184,000 Virginians employed in forestry, forest products and related industries, Virginia forests provide more than $29 Billion annually in benefits to the Commonwealth.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did'nt former Gov. Wilder try to pull that stunt in the early 90's?
Old 10-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard they would cancel it only if the drought continues, because of fire hazard. But I then heard that it only applies to public lands, and that you could still hunt with blackpowder on private land.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard they're thinking of it.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

Seems like you start hearing those rumors every year. I think it would be a major issue come election time if it was cancelled. Also, it would have a large impact on local economies. Remember PETA has their headquarters in Virginia, they would be the first to start a rumor like that.

But hey, maybe since the deer herd would not be thinned out, they would open Sunday's for hunting to allow the day's missed.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

Did'nt former Gov. Wilder try to pull that stunt in the early 90's?
I recall it coming up a couple of times in the mid 90's.

On a side, anyone who would gripe about it hasn't ever fought aMountain Fire......................
Old 10-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Spike

Also to date no hunting seasons have been cancelled in Virginia. this is what they said when i emailed them today
Old 10-25-2007, 12:36 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard this same bs in past years as well and got myself all wound up about it only to have the local mayor tell me that it's virtually impossible to cancel a hunting season or any other outdoor activity due to dry conditions,,,at best they could only shut down areas of the nat'l forests,,,wma's and such. RUMORS!

Quick Reply: virginia blackpowder season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.