Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Virginia Rut

Old 10-29-2002, 08:00 PM

Default Virginia Rut

I'm getting ready for the VA muzzleloading season. I'll be in Georgia for the first 2 days, but I'll get in the woods Wednesday (Nov 6) and hunt through Saturday. My club is in Buckingham county on the James River. My thoughts and what I've read is that the pre rut is beginning and that breeding may begin late in that first week. The cold rainy dark weather we've been having should help trigger as well. But some pubs I've read link it all to the Moon cycles and state that this year will be late Nov 20ish.... Thoughts / observations from area woodhounds?
Old 10-30-2002, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Virginia Rut

My general thought is that the rut has started already. I have seen bucks chasing does. I have also heard many people talk about seeing big bucks chasing does out in the fields and across roads here in central VA. It may be that the bucks are ready and the does are not but who cares as long as they are moving. I have noticed that some of the yearlings are out alone in the woods. Making me come to the conclusion that the does are being chased. I don't think that the rut is in the peak yet. With luck you will be hitting the woods at just the right time next week. Good luck.

Edited by - beagleman28 on 10/30/2002 09:06:38
Old 10-30-2002, 09:28 AM

Thanks Beagleman. I live in Chesterfield. One of my buds lives out in Powhatan and has seen the rubbing really kick up this week. He's targeted 2 nice bucks on his 40 acres but got no shots so far with bow. How bout the acorn crop this year! Biggest I can remember for a long time....
Old 10-30-2002, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Hanover near Ashland. I have bow hunted mainly around home. I killed a nice 17" 6 pt last week. The same evening I saw two more bucks that were bigger. A huge 10 pt came by at 65 yards checking 6 does in a field. I couldn't get him to come closer. I belong to a hunt club in Cumberland and I may try there during muzzleloader season. The piece of land I have been hunting gets lots of pressure during muzzleloader season.

There are acorns all over the place here. I can't believe that we have so many. One tree near my stand has so many acorns that you can't walk under it for fear of falling. I have seen 11 different bucks since the start of bow season. But the big guys have stayed in hiding until the past week. I hope to see that 10 pt again this weekend. Good luck.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live near Danvile and have seen bucks chasing does for a little over a week now. They were running everywhere this morning.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:21 AM

i also live near danville and have saw alot of bucks the last week,next week should be great i would think
Old 10-31-2002, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Up here in Northern VA, the bucks have been on the move for the past week or so. I think pre-rut kicked in recently. Rutting should really pick up over the next 2 weeks. Going out tonight, Friday, and Sat. to do some bow hunting b4 BP comes in Monday. Good luck all!
Old 10-31-2002, 06:38 AM

Cool info. I'm fired up now. Can't wait. The land we lease is 4000 acres and during those 4 days of hunting I'll have maybe 5 other hunters to compete with. Lots of river frontage, hilly and steep ridges, fields, cutover pines new and 5 year growth, hardwoods - prime location. Now to just find the "big un".....

Good luck to all.

Edited by - Redman60 on 10/31/2002 07:39:25