HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Crossbows in Virginia??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/104278-crossbows-virginia.html)

Rebel Dog 06-30-2005 04:03 AM

Crossbows in Virginia???

What do you guys think about anyone being able to hunt with a crossbow now instead of just the handicapped? I have never used a crossbow do they have any more benefit than a compound?

kevin1 06-30-2005 05:16 AM

RE: Crossbows in Virginia???

They are about equal to a compound of the same quality , but they are much heavier and noisier . They aren't superweapons , and they won't destroy bow hunting , just ask anyone from Arkansas or Ohio . I own 2 of them and love them . I also have a recurve and love it just as much . If you get a chance , shoot one and decide for yourself whether or not it's for you .

hoyt3 06-30-2005 10:30 AM

hate them. they have no place in archery hunting. you cannot shoulder a compound, nor shoot it from a rest. altho compouds are advanced, they are nowhere near what a x bow is. I stand with pope and young on this. they will not be allowed in the record book, and don't think they belong in the woods. Now, I do believe whole heartedly that disabled people should be allowed to hunt with them. I have no problem with that. but in normal archery seasons being used by perfectly fit people, no.

o2bebowhunting 06-30-2005 12:36 PM

i have one.for me, it adds around and extra 12 yards of shooting distance.
at 20 yards--my bowtech is just as fast as my 10 pt xbow. its really heavy and awkward.

Kanga 06-30-2005 12:39 PM

Who cares what the next person is using.

Play your own game with what ever archery equipment you want and yes the crossbow is concidered archery equipment and has been around for 1000's of years.

soarkrebel 06-30-2005 05:41 PM

The question that brings all the soapbox "I'm better than you folks out!"

Why do people hate them so much??

They are no threat to the bow only dupes!

I own both a crossbow and a compound bow both are fine primitive weapon to hunt with.

kevin1 07-01-2005 09:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

Who cares what the next person is using.

Play your own game with what ever archery equipment you want and yes the crossbow is concidered archery equipment and has been around for 1000's of years.

Well said Ausie-guy . That's all that really matters at the end of the day .

Aught Six 07-01-2005 11:09 AM

I have no interest in using a crossbow, but I'm all for other hunters using them if they so desire. It's not like we're having a shortage of whitetails in the state. I'm happy for other hunters when they harvest a deer, and I don't care what method they use as long as it conforms to the law.

brn2bow 07-24-2005 10:10 AM

I went up to the Cabelas in Hamburg PA last weekend. While at their range, I shot 2 bows, 1 Parker hunter mag compound {man, gotta have it!!!} and a cross bow. I'm not against the use of them. But they are not for me. I bowhunt for the challenge. Challenge being defined as consistency with the use of my equipment. Yes, I can target shoot all day long. But reality hunting doesn't present shots that you take on the range. Most of the time you're twisting, leaning, bending etc... to get that shot.

With a good rest, I don't see a difference between a crossbow and a rifle/ muzzleloader.

Just my 2cents:)

soarkrebel 07-24-2005 12:46 PM

With a good rest, I don't see a difference between a crossbow and a rifle/ muzzleloader.
You may need to be checked if you can't see the difference!!!!!!!