Crossbows in Virginia???

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Crossbows in Virginia???

Old 07-26-2005, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crossbows in Virginia???

ORIGINAL: brn2bow

I went up to the Cabelas in Hamburg PA last weekend. While at their range, I shot 2 bows, 1 Parker hunter mag compound {man, gotta have it!!!} and a cross bow. I'm not against the use of them. But they are not for me. I bowhunt for the challenge. Challenge being defined as consistency with the use of my equipment. Yes, I can target shoot all day long. But reality hunting doesn't present shots that you take on the range. Most of the time you're twisting, leaning, bending etc... to get that shot.

With a good rest, I don't see a difference between a crossbow and a rifle/ muzzleloader.

Just my 2cents

there is a huge difference between them.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:53 PM
Spike

I agree, there is a differnce for the obvious reasons.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:50 PM

this is the dumbest law regarding hunting in va to be passed. all this is going to do is get people hurt and be a better tool for night hunting. all its gonna take for this to be banned is a couple hunting accidents caused by complete ignorance. every gun hunter who is to lazy and impatient to bow hunt are gonna be shootin on the run and making it a dangerous situation.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:10 AM

ORIGINAL: VA HEAD HUNTER

this is the dumbest law regarding hunting in va to be passed. all this is going to do is get people hurt and be a better tool for night hunting. all its gonna take for this to be banned is a couple hunting accidents caused by complete ignorance. every gun hunter who is to lazy and impatient to bow hunt are gonna be shootin on the run and making it a dangerous situation.
WOW sounds like you have lost your HEAD!!

Are kidding??

Crossbows have been legal in arkansas for a LONG time and i know of no wild folks getting hurt and shooting on the run. no increase in night hunting!
Are you suggesting that people in arkansas are superior than those in va??

I would bet your nieghbors in va might not appreciate your opinion!!

Come on think about what you said!!!!!!GEEZ!
Old 07-31-2005, 12:40 PM

actually yes i am lol. we have a huge problem in this area of central va with night hunting. also from info i have recieved from the game wardens in my area around my farm this law was passed to up the effort on population control of the deer but this is the wrong way to go about it. the only way we are going to control the massive numbers of deer here is to run the next couple years as doe only. i know alot of people would be against it but the facts are the facts. if you have 20 does and 20 bucks in an area and you kill 19 bucks, those 20 does will still get bred by that last buck. there are only a few counties in va that open does all season like here in fauqier county and they should do it all over the state. also we have a long season which goes from sept 1st to march if you include the early and late archery seasons.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:45 AM

Head Hunter i can understand the night hunting . you probably have a poaching and trespassing problem also.
We have that in arkansas but it's not because of the crossbows. I think states need to really crack down HARD on the violators.
And population problems can be solved but the game and fish dept's are going to have to get smart folks in there to make the rules.
I have no faith in my states arkansas game and fish even if they do let us us crossbows.
Maybe they should require every hunter to tag 5 does before taking one buck. if you get caught not doing so hit them hard!
I have a problem in my club that i can't get my people to take does i am being patient as they have said they will take some each this year but if they don't next year we will make a strict requirement.
Va does have a long season ours runs from Oct 1 to Feb 15 now but used to run to Feb 28. some more of that AG&F wisdom at work.

Anyway i really don't think you have anything to worry about with crossbow hunters. yes some will pick one up ,as some do bows, and get tired of it and quit.
But that goes in all methods of hunting. true gung ho nuts (like fools that talk about it year round even on line!) will be an asset to population control.and who knows one crossbow hunter might actually show you what it's like to hunt with one and you may even add one to your list of gung ho nut tools to get out in the woods with.

Look i just tired of hearing folks bash crossbows and call folks that use them lazy. i have one and i am most definately not lazy about hunting. would a lazy fool have been out this weekend in the heat and seed ticks? I have been out scouting and seeing what i can see.

Give them a chance and this spring come back and tell us how you didnt see anyone with a crossbow all season.

P.S. if i wasn't so far away i would come up there and help you out with those deer!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:15 AM

Head Hunter where in Fauquier are you at? Did you say you have a farm?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

head hunter--how is the xbow going to get people hurt? have you ever shot one? the xbow has this bias against it b/c, it seems, only lazy gun hunters use them. people that poach at night are still going to poach, reguardless if va has a xbow season. you need to accept it that xbows are here to stay. you can still use a compound bow. nobody is making you give up that choice.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Speaking of crossbows..... Has anyone been to Green Top Sporting Goods (north of Richmond) lately?!?! I was there Saturday and good God... you should see the rack of crossbows they have now! They have as many crossbows as they do compounds! [&:]

I don't mind crossbows... I guess they have their place. I just have never shot one, nor even picked one up. Besides, they ain't exactly my style anyway. They are taking the challenge of out archery, wouldn't you think? Give me a compound bow any day of the week from 22' up in a tree stand...
Old 08-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

actually yes i am lol. we have a huge problem in this area of central va with night hunting. also from info i have recieved from the game wardens in my area around my farm this law was passed to up the effort on population control of the deer but this is the wrong way to go about it. the only way we are going to control the massive numbers of deer here is to run the next couple years as doe only. i know alot of people would be against it but the facts are the facts. if you have 20 does and 20 bucks in an area and you kill 19 bucks, those 20 does will still get bred by that last buck. there are only a few counties in va that open does all season like here in fauqier county and they should do it all over the state. also we have a long season which goes from sept 1st to march if you include the early and late archery seasons.

Well I would have to voice my disagrement with Virginians being less superior than others.. if you have a self image and confidence problem then speak for yourself and be sure to only speak for yourself....

Now to the part of your qoute where in all your knowledge you are telling people that you have a deer season that runs from sept 1st to march in Fauqier well you once again should think before you speak or atleast check regulations...

September 17-30, 2005 and January 9-March 25, 2006 within the incorporated limits of the cities of Colonial Heights, Emporia, Franklin, Lynchburg, Martinsville, Radford, Richmond, and Winchester, and the towns of Altavista, Amherst, Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Farmville, Independence, Rocky Mount, Tazewell, West Point and in Fairfax County. This season is open only in the localities just named. Restrictions and other information specific to each participating locality follow below. During this season only antlerless deer may be taken.
That is straight from the VDGIF webpage... Well it apears that if you were to start bowhunting anywhere in Va (other than if you had a damage permit) on Sept 1st, well you my friend are poaching.... On top of that if you do happen to follow the actaul start date of Urban season(Sept 17th) wihle hunting in Fauqier well... you are still poaching.... I believe that the first day you can legally hutn deer with any weapon in season in Fauqier would be Oct 1st.... while I myself feel that the opening day of archery season can not get here quick enough I suggest that you check you regs for the county you hunt in or maybe you will be the one caught poaching.... One statement is correct that you can legally harvest does all season long......

Just thought I would poitn these out to you ... wouldnt want you to get caught hunting out of season.. I mean we are less superior so I guess we need to help each other out!!!

Quick Reply: Crossbows in Virginia???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.