Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit hunting HELP!!!!!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Rabbit hunting HELP!!!!!!!

THis may sound kind of stupid but i am trying to get into some rabbit hunting now that deer season is over and i was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to skin them and then clean them. Also if any one has any good recipes to cook them i would really be interested in them to. I have never shot a rabbit nor seen any one clean a rabbit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Default RE: Rabbit hunting HELP!!!!!!!

Don't even take out your knife. Grab rabbit at rib cage and squeeze to anus. Guts will fall out. No blood in game bag. Rabbits fur is thin not like squirrels. Look at recipes there are some good ones.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:17 PM

I heard of that and i plan on trying tomarrow. I have this spot that is just full of rabbits, every time i go pheasant hunting on it I see like 50 rabbits and i think they need to be thinned out. There was no way i was just going to go out there and shoot them and let them lay for the yotes, that is just wrong. I really appreciate the help and im going to try it tomarrow.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 01-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Heres a web page for recipes, also see this forum for recipes as well, and good hunting!

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/
Old 01-11-2005, 03:26 PM

i make rabbit by pan frying it till browned then bake it in a little water enough to make steam for two hours and i also make stew with it you can experiment a little til you get the perfect recipe.. good luck gittin em rabbits
Old 01-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I just roll them in a little flour and fry them like chicken. They are darn good eating.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:41 AM

Even if you use the squeeze method, you still need to open the body cavity up, so as to cool the meat. Also, though I've never tried that method, a friend of mine said he tried it once and ended up with some nasty stuff on the inner wall of the body cavity. I suggest trying it once, the cut 'em open to see if it happens with you too. If so, the I'd go back to conventional methods.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:05 AM

i tried the squeeze method and the one were you step on the head and pull up on the legs to remove the head and squeeze the guts out that way and i dont like doing it that way it makes a mess (maybe i did it wrong). I ended up just skinning the rabbit and then gutting it just like a deer.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've skinned them a couple of ways. A horizontal slit across the back works well. Put fingers from both hands in and pull in opposite directions.Half the skill comes off the hind end, the other half ends up around the head.

Any chicken recipe will do, but alder rabbits will be tougher than chicken. Any slow cooking, with moist, low heat will tenderize it just fine. Try using a crock-pot.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

With cotton tails, you can just pull the fur right off. Jacks I make a small slit across the back then put 2 fingers from each hand inside the slit on either side and pull it off. Then split it from sternum to anus and take the guts out. Only takes a hot second. You can just twist the head off with no problem and cut the feet off with a sharp knife.

Fried rabbit with some rabbit gravy is my favorite. I also can rabbit and put it in a stew sometimes.

Quick Reply: Rabbit hunting HELP!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.