Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Winter Squirrel Hunt

Old 01-03-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Winter Squirrel Hunt

The snow melted down enough that my little squirrel dog Buddy could make it through the woods so I got him out yesterday for a few hours. He treed a few and I managed to shoot a few. One tree held two squirrels. I had shot the first one out and thought that was all so I started to move on. But Buddy went right back to the tree and kept hammering on it. So I looked it over real good and finally spotted another one flattened out in a wide crotch.

Here's Buddy telling me that another one is in this tree:

He never loses a cripple:

Old 01-03-2005, 10:15 PM

Default RE: Winter Squirrel Hunt

what kinda dog u got there? Did u spend alot of time training him to tree squirrels? I dont have a dog I usally just go find a spot and sit and they come on and stick out like a sore thumb and my .22 does the rest. If i try to sneak up on them they run into there dens and i have to wiat for them to come out... During the months when theres leaves on still there more abundant it seems and i can sneak on them easier and they dont run to there dens as often. Nice job on the hunt.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:48 PM

Buddy is a UKC registered Treeing Feist squirrel dog. I got him in the woods alot where there are plenty of squirrels his first 3 years. After that I get him out at least once a week in the off-season. During the open season we get out as much as possible.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good shooting and good dog