Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting in Maine

Old 11-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Spike

Default Coyote hunting in Maine

I am planning on hunting coyotes in maine this year and i have never done this before. what is my best bet for hunting coyotes at night? should i use bait or just calls. do i set up on the edge of a field and how far away from the bait should i be. what do u recomend for bait. do i need to invest in a light for my scope. and will a 30-06 be a good weapon. thanks in advance
Old 11-26-2004, 09:13 PM

Default RE: Coyote hunting in Maine

Hi MaineBowhunter
I guide night hunting trips for coyotes and I have found that bait works the best. I do use a call on occassions to get their attention. I set blinds up on the edges of fields and my bait piles are approx. 100 yards out. For bait, the local game wardens usually keep me supplied with road killed deer but any meat will do. I cut the meat up and put it in 5 gal. pails and fill it with water and freeze it, this way the coyotes can't pick it up and carry it off they have to stay around and chew on it. As for lights I try not to use them any more than I have to. I try to hunt when there is snow on the ground and ample moon light. I have found that if multiple coyotes come in if I don't use a light I can usually shot more than one before they take off where as if I use a light you get a quick shot at best. I hope this helps you outr a little if I can help on any thing e-mail me at [email protected]