Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Crow Decoy Setup

Old 02-23-2002, 02:49 PM

Default Crow Decoy Setup

I am just starting to get into crow hunting and was wondering what the best decoy setup was. I've heard of using an owl decoy but don't know exactly how I should set it up. Any tips?
Old 02-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crow Decoy Setup

Hey, Varmithunter, I never had any interest in calling crows until this fall, and found it was pretty easy. My cousin and I used a electronic caller with the owl/crow fight, and didn't even use decoys, and crows came. We drove around the country, in NW Ks. until we spotted some crows, and set up in some trees about 200 upto about 400 yrds away from the crows, turned on the caller and they came.You might check out crowbusters.com, they have some good info for crow calling there.From what they say, using a owl decoy and crow decoys set above the owl and an electronic caller is the most productive way to call crow. Come next season, I will be using decoys, although some of the crows came by once after being shot at, I believe they would come back a few more times if they could see more crows and the owl.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

This is how we set up our decoys. We set the owl decoy out aboout 20 yards from where we are and we set it on a stump or on a fence post, then we take the decoys, we only use 3 crow decoys but i think they say the more the better, and put put them up in the tree as high as I can climb, but make sure you can climb back up to get them. I might climb 2 different trees so there not all bunched up in one tree. And it works i called the same group of groups back 2 times after shooting at them the first time. I went to the crow busters site and i really didn't care for it.

"Trophies are not measured in Inches!"
Old 02-24-2002, 07:21 PM
Fork Horn

I believe I am going to set 3 on the ground and maybe throw a squirrel or something like rabbit fur or something for bait in the middle. I bet it would work. I will try it as soon as goose hunting slows down.

Without passion.....Why bother?
Old 02-25-2002, 07:52 PM

I use three shell decoys and some cardboard cutouts.

"Playing under the table and dreaming"