HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Legal to hunt in your state (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/60467-legal-hunt-your-state.html)

DuckHuntin247 05-02-2004 09:43 AM

Legal to hunt in your state

Is it legal to hunt pest birds(Grackles, Redwinged Blackbird, Starlings, and Sparrows) with a air gun in your state? If so I was wondering if anybody would like to start up a contest.

Turkeyhunter93 05-02-2004 11:20 AM

RE: Legal to hunt in your state

no sparrows or blackbird here, but grackles,english sparrow and wild pigeon yes. i dont need to use an airgun, but it would be best, 20 gauge is too much!;) ok so why dont you start the contest?BTW what kind of airgun do you have?

DuckHuntin247 05-02-2004 12:53 PM

Its a .20 Benjamin-Sheridan "Blue Streak". If its legal in your stat and anyone would like to enter a contest, post here. Can't really offer a prize...except knowing that you won the contest, just thought iw would be somethin to do in the off season. What about you Turkey hunter...you want to enter?

psandhu 05-02-2004 02:35 PM

our states regulations specifically mentions english sparrows, starlings, and feral pigeon as a huntable non-game species (along with prairie dogs, woodchucks, gophers, armadillo, kangaroo rat, wood rat, porcupine, moles, gophers and invertebrates).

i'll be in on this contest.

when does it end? aug 31 would be a good day.

psandhu 05-02-2004 06:43 PM

I'll sweeten this contest

I will donate to the winner several pounds of "peredovik black oil sunflower seeds for planting". The only stipulation is that the winner must pay for shipping. It's usually between 4 and 5 bucks. I have about 20 lbs of the planting seed left over from my dove plot. I've been selling them on ebay, just go to ebay and type in peredovik in the search menu and you'll get the rest of the information and a better description, psandhu169 is my name on ebay. Although, when this contest is over it'll be too late to plant. So this is for a 2005 dove plot planting.

The rest of you in this contest ought to pitch in something as well, makes it more interesting. If everyone pitched in a 5 dollar item, this could really make the off season go by fast.

trapperDave 05-03-2004 06:10 PM

RE: I'll sweeten this contest

legal here

zak123 05-03-2004 06:47 PM

psandhu you sell that for $0.01! Do you lose money on that with only $4.50 shipping?

DuckHuntin247 05-03-2004 07:39 PM

zak, he just puts a insanley low price to get people to think "o sweet deal..." then a bunch of people bid on it, and it gets to the price that he wants for it. Otherwise he might have a reserve on it, thats a little more complicated so if you want to know more about ebay going to the site and check it out.

DuckHuntin247 05-03-2004 07:43 PM

Aug. 31st sounds like a good date. Psandhu, can you help me out with this thing, I need some help figuring out the specifics of the contest. Like if you have to back up what you say you shot with pics, if there might be some sort of points system...teams or singles....whew...lots to figure out...well, let me know.

psandhu 05-03-2004 08:22 PM

aww fook. it sold for one cent. the last auction for the same thing went for 7 bucks on friday, another one went for 4 bucks.

i put a "no reserve" price on it because ebay starts charging the seller depending on how the reserve is. i paid $24 for the 50 lbs of planting seed. 20 pounds of it would otherwise sit in my spare bedroom until next year. at least i can sell some of it and get my money back. my cost for 2 lbs is 98 cents. the buyer pays for shipping, and i get shipping envelopes from the post office for free.

as far as the contest goes, it can be run any way we want. i think pics would be good proof. heck, i bought a digital camera on ebay for $15 that's about the size of a zippo lighter (plus i have another one that is much better).

a point system for varmint birds would make it interesting. maybe something like 7 points for a pigeon (25 points if it's banded (i shot one before)), 6 for a starling (they fly pretty fast), 5 for a blackbird, and 3 for a sparrow. each contestant has a running total of accumulated points. if 2 or more people hunt them, the points are added up and split evenly between them.

i use a shotgun, not a pellet gun. i think shotgun shooter should have their final points reduced by 25%. people using a .22 should have it reduced by about 10%. pellet gun shooters get the full score. the last few paragraphs are just suggestions.