Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Tanning Pelt-On

Old 09-28-2017, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
I have only done it once, and did lots wrong. But I salted. Pickled, fleshed, and picked again maybe. Doing hide on. I froze before doing tan, due to timing.

Being a novice, I was just following what I read.

Hide doesnt flat, but not stiff. But I did not spend time breaking. I had some timing problems.
Did you not stretch the hide? I'll admit, I don't stretch in a traditional manner - I don't use a center board to stretch, rather, I pull them out over a board, and progressively move my pins further a time or two each day. That way I get a nice, flat laying hide. If I'm making buckskin for anything but a wall hanger, then I use the traditional center board method, but I also don't leave the hair on then.

Hair on deer hides are a pain, in general. The hollow hairs are very brittle, especially when they dry, which is why you never see hair on deer hide rugs - only cattle hides or bear rugs. Deer can't take traffic, the hairs break and leave big bald spots. Equally, a guy has to take care during the tanning process to not beat up the hair too much, making bald spots before it ever even makes it to the wall.

For what it's worth - I've paid $75-100 to taxidermists to do wall hanging deer hides. No fuss, no muss, just take them a green hide, hand them a check, and wait a couple months. Much, much easier than DIY, and just about as cheap once you figure in time and supplies.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

I stretched it with salt on it. After I took it out of the tan, I worked it, but should have been worked more. I didn't have the time. I re-hyrdated and did it some more, but not the effort I should. It hangs on a wall fine, and holds the hair. I don't notice any falling out. But it is just hanging on wall. I did not luten tan, I believe.

Doesn't sit compeletely flat. I though maybe airbrush/paint camp name on it some day or a mount on it, or just leave it.

I did find a place on the internet that seamed reasonable, and heard of another place local.

It is a lot of work. Plus dealing with the chemicals when only doing one.

If I got a nice coyote, I would check the prices and look at getting one done nice. If I had the freezer space, and shot enough, maybe I would sit on one until I got some other animals I wanted to do.

I enjoyed learning how. That is pretty much why I did it. Maybe do a hair off leather next.

If I get a bear, I may do mount, and then do the hide myself. Don't want to spend the money for both, the same year.

Last edited by Berserker; 09-30-2017 at 05:46 PM.