Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shot Placement

Old 09-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Spike

Default Shot Placement

Hey everyone! Anyone who's been reading my other posts knows I'm a former deer hunter who sold her .243 and is barging all-or-nothing into predator/varminting.
So, since I'm a total newbie, can you guys tell me where the vitals are on each of these animals?
You could just tell me, but a photo grabbed off the internet with an outline or a little X drawn on the vitals in MS Paint or something would be awesome.

--Coyote
--Fox
--Bobcat
--Groundhog
--Raccoon

Thanks,
Wolven
Old 09-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

They're not so different than deer, if you've hunted deer effectively, you'll figure it out on small game just fine. If you want a mess, run a bullet into the shoulder joints. If you want nice clean hides, stay off of the joints.

Learn to realize the positions the animals are in vs. their vitals. A coon sitting up with something in its hands will have its elbows near the bottom of its ribcage, so shooting behind the point of the elbow like you would a deer is a gutshot - however, when its standing up and traveling, the "behind the elbow" shot which flattens deer will flatten coons too (or coyotes, fox, bobcats). A woodchuck standing up on end is about like a person - draw an X between the shoulders and the elbows, pick the right side slightly, and put a bullet through it. This shot will have the most opportunity to ruin the hide for wall hanging or sales, however, since it puts the punch right on the centerline of the back. A groundhog crouched with its chest low will have its elbows farther back than the walking deer, so move up and forward slightly - as the arm bone is largely protecting the heart.

But overall - anywhere in the front half of these small game animals (except coyotes) without hitting the shoulder joints is hitting the vitals. They're not hard to kill. Same rule is true for coyotes, but add a "ceiling" of midway up from the chest line.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
They're not so different than deer, if you've hunted deer effectively, you'll figure it out on small game just fine. If you want a mess, run a bullet into the shoulder joints. If you want nice clean hides, stay off of the joints.

Learn to realize the positions the animals are in vs. their vitals. A coon sitting up with something in its hands will have its elbows near the bottom of its ribcage, so shooting behind the point of the elbow like you would a deer is a gutshot - however, when its standing up and traveling, the "behind the elbow" shot which flattens deer will flatten coons too (or coyotes, fox, bobcats). A woodchuck standing up on end is about like a person - draw an X between the shoulders and the elbows, pick the right side slightly, and put a bullet through it. This shot will have the most opportunity to ruin the hide for wall hanging or sales, however, since it puts the punch right on the centerline of the back. A groundhog crouched with its chest low will have its elbows farther back than the walking deer, so move up and forward slightly - as the arm bone is largely protecting the heart.

But overall - anywhere in the front half of these small game animals (except coyotes) without hitting the shoulder joints is hitting the vitals. They're not hard to kill. Same rule is true for coyotes, but add a "ceiling" of midway up from the chest line.
Thanks a lot!