Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New Small Game Gun

Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Spike

Default New Small Game Gun

So, I've sold my .243 deer rifle and scope...I couldn't buy an extra gun and there are no .243 rounds that really save pelts. So, I want to buy a rimfire as my new primary gun.
Here's the list of animals I'll be shooting (I'll tan pelts from all of these):
--Raccoon
--Coyote
--Red Fox
--Bobcat
--Groundhog (yes I will tan these)
--Beaver
So, my question is, what caliber rifle do you guys recommend I get that can kill all of these without a long tracking job (instant drop with chest shot is ideal, but probably not gonna happen) and without tearing them up too bad?
If you guys can recommend a specific gun and a relatively cheap scope with a target knob (you range the target with a finder and then turn a dial to set the distance on the scope) too, that'd be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

22 Hornet, considering the desire to not blow your groundhogs in half.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is hard to find it all in one package. You may want to consider ammo cost, ammo availability and the number of bullet types offered in a caliber. .223 is by far the winner in bullet types available. The hornet is going to be the cheapest.

And whether you want a bolt action or a semi. 22 Hornet is going to be hard to find in a semi.

The 22 Hornet would be a good choice.

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of long range shooting, all of the above are only going to drop a couple of inches +/- at two hundred yards. Making a ballistic scope kind of unnecessary. A ballistic scope with a ranging knob is usually calculated for a specific bullet anyway. I have one on one of my scopes, I'v never used it.

My dream small game/varmint rifle is a Styer Pro Hunter in .222 or .223. Cost about a hundred more than a model 70 type rifle. But IMO the most bang for the buck all things considered. I've looked, very few used to be found, the reason being those who have one rarely sell them.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, a mediocre rifle with good glass is going to shoot better than a mediocre glass on a good rifle. Most rifles shoot straighter than a shooter does anyway. Good glass will pick out those shots better than a mediocre glass will. The majority of my shots are low light, early morning or evening.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-21-2017 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
22 Hornet, considering the desire to not blow your groundhogs in half.
Originally Posted by MudderChuck
It is hard to find it all in one package. You may want to consider ammo cost, ammo availability and the number of bullet types offered in a caliber. .223 is by far the winner in bullet types available. The hornet is going to be the cheapest.

And whether you want a bolt action or a semi. 22 Hornet is going to be hard to find in a semi.

The 22 Hornet would be a good choice.

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of long range shooting, all of the above are only going to drop a couple of inches +/- at two hundred yards. Making a ballistic scope kind of unnecessary. A ballistic scope with a ranging knob is usually calculated for a specific bullet anyway. I have one on one of my scopes, I've never used it.

My dream small game/varmint rifle is a Styer Pro Hunter in .222 or .223. Cost about a hundred more than a model 70 type rifle. But IMO the most bang for the buck all things considered. I've looked, very few used to be found, the reason being those who have one rarely sell them.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, a mediocre rifle with good glass is going to shoot better than a mediocre glass on a good rifle. Most rifles shoot straighter than a shooter does anyway. Good glass will pick out those shots better than a mediocre glass will. The majority of my shots are low light, early morning or evening.
Ok, I'll look at .22 Hornet. What scopes do you guys recommend that won't break the bank? I can do up to $100 for my scope. And, if a ballistic scope is unnecessary, can I get a scope without any knobs or anything and still hit with +/- 2in drop? Are there good optics without ballistic knobs and other bells and whistles?
And do you think the .22 Hornet which is centerfire will have much more recoil than something like a .22LR? Will a .22LR drop 'em?

Last edited by Wolven; 09-22-2017 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I exaggerated a bit with the 2" bullet drop, it really depends on which range you zero at, the FPS of your bullet and the weight of the bullet.

Your going to need knobs (turrets) to zero your scope. But it is unlikely you will need to fiddle with them much, after you zero it.

Decide what are the longer ranges you are likely to be shooting at.

And your list has a pretty broad range of animals by weight and size. I wouldn't count on a 22 LR taking some of them down unless you are a very good shot and close. Anything you choose is going to be a compromise.

My .222 shoots pretty flat out to around 200 yards. The Hornet out to around 150. Just a rough calculation. The .223 with the same bullet weight as the Hornet 40 grn, will push it a thousand feet per second faster than a Hornet, rough calculation. My .222 is about in the middle for bullet velocity.

Rockport seems to know his scopes pretty good, better than I do. I use high end glass and won't be a lot of help.

One reason I mentioned Hare, they are a little bigger than Ground Hogs and a little smaller than Coons (average) and my .222 is a little too much gun for them about half the time.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 09-22-2017 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

"So, I want to buy a rimfire as my new primary gun.
--Raccoon
--Coyote
--Red Fox
--Bobcat
--Beaver
So, my question is, what caliber rifle do you guys recommend I get that can kill all of these without a long tracking job (instant drop with chest shot is ideal, but probably not gonna happen) and without tearing them up too bad?
If you guys can recommend a specific gun and a relatively cheap scope with a target knob (you range the target with a finder and then turn a dial to set the distance on the scope) too, that'd be awesome."

Good Luck.

A 17 WSM Might do all that.

. Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 09-27-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:58 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I exaggerated a bit with the 2" bullet drop, it really depends on which range you zero at, the FPS of your bullet and the weight of the bullet.

Your going to need knobs (turrets) to zero your scope. But it is unlikely you will need to fiddle with them much, after you zero it.

Decide what are the longer ranges you are likely to be shooting at.

And your list has a pretty broad range of animals by weight and size. I wouldn't count on a 22 LR taking some of them down unless you are a very good shot and close. Anything you choose is going to be a compromise.

My .222 shoots pretty flat out to around 200 yards. The Hornet out to around 150. Just a rough calculation. The .223 with the same bullet weight as the Hornet 40 grn, will push it a thousand feet per second faster than a Hornet, rough calculation. My .222 is about in the middle for bullet velocity.

Rockport seems to know his scopes pretty good, better than I do. I use high end glass and won't be a lot of help.

One reason I mentioned Hare, they are a little bigger than Ground Hogs and a little smaller than Coons (average) and my .222 is a little too much gun for them about half the time.
I'll probably zero at 100 yards. Should I get a .222 or .223? I've decided on one of those two. Which one will drop em without completely ruining the hogs/coons? (I can sew up a decent hole but not a critter blown in half...)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Wolven
--Raccoon
--Coyote
--Red Fox
--Bobcat
--Beaver
Your list of animals in pretty broad and would normally dictate more than 1 caliber for optimum performance. There are compromises you could make on caliber but it would help to know a few more things so you get the best advice from everybody listed above.

First, are you planning on reloading? If so, you can tailor the loads some to getter hotter loads or reduced power loads. If not, you want to pick a caliber in the middle of the pack so to speak so you are not badly over gunned on some of the smaller animals.

Out of your list of animals, which ones will you be shooting primarily (as in the main animals you shoot) and which ones will just be a target of opportunity if you happen to run across one (probably rarely). Assessing your list of animals like that would help you a lot in choosing a single caliber that does well for the animals you shoot the most and okay or marginal for the ones you shoot the least.

What distances do you think you'll be shooting at? Longer distances need a hotter round.

Your profile says East Coast so people don't know which state you're going to be hunting in. Different states have different hunting regulations about using bait or not, calling animals, habitat, hunting at night, etc. If you don't want to list your state, can you at least state what are the laws for the animals you want to hunt and anticipated hunting conditions? That would help a lot also.

These are a lot of questions but each one brings up something you're going to have to account for one way or another. The people who have responded to you have a tremendous amount of experience and wisdom and, most importantly, are willing to share it with you and help you make the best game plan. The more info you can share with them, the better they can tailor their recommendations for you. Hopefully this helps you get the best rifle for your hunting.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:10 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Your list of animals in pretty broad and would normally dictate more than 1 caliber for optimum performance. There are compromises you could make on caliber but it would help to know a few more things so you get the best advice from everybody listed above.

First, are you planning on reloading? If so, you can tailor the loads some to getter hotter loads or reduced power loads. If not, you want to pick a caliber in the middle of the pack so to speak so you are not badly over gunned on some of the smaller animals.

Out of your list of animals, which ones will you be shooting primarily (as in the main animals you shoot) and which ones will just be a target of opportunity if you happen to run across one (probably rarely). Assessing your list of animals like that would help you a lot in choosing a single caliber that does well for the animals you shoot the most and okay or marginal for the ones you shoot the least.

What distances do you think you'll be shooting at? Longer distances need a hotter round.

Your profile says East Coast so people don't know which state you're going to be hunting in. Different states have different hunting regulations about using bait or not, calling animals, habitat, hunting at night, etc. If you don't want to list your state, can you at least state what are the laws for the animals you want to hunt and anticipated hunting conditions? That would help a lot also.

These are a lot of questions but each one brings up something you're going to have to account for one way or another. The people who have responded to you have a tremendous amount of experience and wisdom and, most importantly, are willing to share it with you and help you make the best game plan. The more info you can share with them, the better they can tailor their recommendations for you. Hopefully this helps you get the best rifle for your hunting.
My primary prey are foxes and bobcats. I will be putting out corn for groundhogs too, and shooting if they happen to show up. Groundhogs are open season, no bag limit here. Foxes and bobcats lie under furbearer blanket where I live, and I have a furbearer permit. Beavers, coons, and coyotes are also furs. I'll shoot beavers if I see them (which'll be pretty rare, even though I live on a river) and coons and coyotes if I happen to call them in while calling for cats or foxes. I've been thinking .22 Mag. Do you agree with the .22 Mag? I think it'd be the best middle ground choice for all these, and, hopefully not bust up the lil' whistle pigs and beavers too bad.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't know what state you live in wolven but it is not legal to hunt beavers, they must be caught in traps, it is that way in PA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.