Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Plains Coyotes

Old 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Spike

Default Plains Coyotes

I have recently got into predator hunting. I live in Texas and the land I hunt is extremely flat with hardly any trees. Do y'all have any tips of being concealed from coyotes due to the fact of not having cover besides grass?
Old 06-27-2017, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take several rods along with some camo cloth that will match your surroundings and put it up to hide behind for some concealment.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use a hillside,fallen limbs old Farm Equipment even hay bales work in hiding You or any movement.Theres a reflective Blind called a Ghost Blind that works in any terrain or cover because it reflects anything in the surroundings that Your in....it's not cheap but will work when cover is limited.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

that is one of the problems with todays camo patterns.
I couldn't find any for hunting in cedars and pine plantations. So I made my own pretty much. If you have grass you gather the grass and tie it together so it breaks up your human body out line, wear a face net the same color as the grass. You can buy wedding veil netting and die it.

Al
Old 06-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Bilipala-Deco...+netting&psc=1

Cut up strips of burlap or any old material and make it like a gillie suit. In fact you can use one panel just like a Gillie suit.

I figured out it doesn't have to be solid, 50% coverage is enough as long as you practice hunters skills, like not moving fore long periods and/or making noise. Move slowly especially when your raising your rifle or bow to shoot. Breaking up your outline seems more important than a solid wall.

I use either budget zip ties or even cheaper twist tie material on a roll (garden department). I set it up in a triangle and use metal rods on the corners to hold it up. I have a three legged (quiet) swivel stool I take with me often and a shooting stick.

I've had Fox walk up to within 15 feet of me, if the wind was right, so I know it works. I've had the feeling sometimes they'd walk right up to me.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are more and more camo patterns out there which match up for dry grasses. Kuiu Vias and Under Armour RR Barren are two I use. Mil-surp desert camo will work fine, as will any sand/tan solid shirt as well. Even ACU digital does better than a guy would think.

Once your color tones match up fairly well, shoot from seated or prone, and use landforms to your advantage. Even in flat land, there's a lot more "person sized" terrain forms than a guy might expect. It's a bit of a compromise, since you lose visibility of the field by sinking yourself into the scrub and terrain, but you also hide your form. With a low seat and a back rest (natural or equipped), shooting nearly supine, a guy can keep a decent field view without offering a high body profile.

For me, it's really about reading the travel patterns and anticipating the approach. A guy might be fully exposed from one approach angle, but effectively invisible from another. Being able to read terrain forms through binos is a critical aspect of this, for me.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Hide in plain sight"

Use the contours of the land you hunt.

There is always a high point.

Set-up below the horizon & lay down under some camo.

If necessary.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Beave...2Bout%2Bblinds
Old 07-02-2017, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The down side to laying prone is it limits your vision. I always plan on them coming from a certain direction, which works out for me maybe half the time, if I'm lucky. Just my experience, but game in general tends to pop up sometimes where it is least expected. I don't know how many times I've said to myself, "where the heck did that come from"? I've often wondered if they don't have a sense of when you have your eyes on them and when you don't. And your chances improve from directions you can't see.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sheridan
"Hide in plain sight"

Use the contours of the land you hunt.

There is always a high point.

Set-up below the horizon & lay down under some camo.

If necessary.
Yep, use bushes, large rocks or ledges, anything that will break up your silhouette.