Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes hunting

Old 04-08-2017, 02:03 PM
Spike

Default Coyotes hunting

Does anyone here have experience hunting coyotes with dogs? I would like to hear some of your stories and some about the dogs you used.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Fellow down the road runs them with plott hounds. told me recently that he is about to quit, Lots of people are not happy the dogs do not know how to read no trespassing signs.

He has to travel 2.5 to 3 hours to find public land large enough he doesn't run into trouble.

Al
Old 04-08-2017, 03:00 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Fellow down the road runs them with plott hounds. told me recently that he is about to quit, Lots of people are not happy the dogs do not know how to read no trespassing signs.

He has to travel 2.5 to 3 hours to find public land large enough he doesn't run into trouble.

Al
Thanks and hey a dogs going to do what's it's trained to do they don't care about property lol. Do you know how he uses his dogs to they just track and bail the coyote or do they kill it?

Last edited by Huntley; 04-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thing about Coyotes that few people get is they are fast, very nearly as fast as a greyhound. Think of them as Greyhounds with long fur.

Most of the Yote hunters in Cal use Greyhound mixes, same Dogs they use for Jackrabbit. Many follow the dogs with dirt bikes or buggies in more open country.

I hunted the Chaparral mostly, I used a mixed pack. A speed dog (a Cur), two nose dogs (hounds) and two fighters. And a climber, the climber was special, she would climb near vertical cliffs, felt at home in trees and was smallish so she could run through the brush easily. Some way or the other she was pack leader, how or why I have no idea.

My speed dog was basically a herding dog, she would turn a Yote, was well fed and healthy, she could outlast a Yote. She looked a lot like a Black mouthed Cur.

The nose dogs kept us on the trail if the leader lost the Yote in the brush. The fighters would finish the Yote jiffy quick and not get torn up in the process. Vet trips are expensive.

The fighters were both well over a hundred pounds and both had longish fur for protection, Wolfish dogs. Tail end runners, tended to overheat. They usually showed up after the Yote was run into the ground.

The nose dogs (hounds) were a pair of Weimaraners 70-80 pounds, they sang (really helped keeping track of the pack), ran in the middle, had long legs and really good stamina.

Hard to find it all in one dog. Sending one dog out after Yotes is asking for some hefty Vet bills or a dead dog. You never know when they are going to run into a pack of Yotes, a Mountain Lion or a Bobcat.

I had one dog that was nearly gutted by a Puma, she survived but it was close.

Keeping up with a pack of dogs in brush country is a young mans sport.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-08-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 03:54 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
The thing about Coyotes that few people get is they are fast, very nearly as fast as a greyhound. Think of them as Greyhounds with long fur.

Most of the Yote hunters in Cal use Greyhound mixes, same Dogs they use for Jackrabbit. Many follow the dogs with dirt bikes or buggies in more open country.

I hunted the Chaparral mostly, I used a mixed pack. A speed dog (a Cur), two nose dogs (hounds) and two fighters. And a climber, the climber was special, she would climb near vertical cliffs, felt at home in trees and was smallish so she could run through the brush easily. Some way or the other she was pack leader, how or why I have no idea.

My speed dog was basically a herding dog, she would turn a Yote, was well fed and healthy, she could outlast a Yote. She looked a lot like a Black mouthed Cur.

The nose dogs kept us on the trail if the leader lost the Yote in the brush. The fighters would finish the Yote jiffy quick and not get torn up in the process. Vet trips are expensive.

The fighters were both well over a hundred pounds and both had longish fur for protection, Wolfish dogs. Tail end runners, tended to overheat. They usually showed up after the Yote was run into the ground.

The nose dogs (hounds) were a pair of Weimaraners 70-80 pounds, they sang (really helped keeping track of the pack), ran in the middle, had long legs and really good stamina.

Hard to find it all in one dog. Sending one dog out after Yotes is asking for some hefty Vet bills or a dead dog. You never know when they are going to run into a pack of Yotes, a Mountain Lion or a Bobcat.

I had one dog that was nearly gutted by a Puma, she survived but it was close.

Keeping up with a pack of dogs in brush country is a young mans sport.
Sounds like you have a good pack I dogs. I have never been yote hunting with dogs and I would love to. What is a good way to start? Besides a greyhound what breed would you recommend? I have two dogs but they would not be good for yotes. So I am trying to figure out some breeds and find some dogs so I can make a pack.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntley
Sounds like you have a good pack I dogs. I have never been yote hunting with dogs and I would love to. What is a good way to start? Besides a greyhound what breed would you recommend? I have two dogs but they would not be good for yotes. So I am trying to figure out some breeds and find some dogs so I can make a pack.
Had a good pack of dogs, that was long ago.

If I was going to start a new pack I'd likely start out with a Catahoula Cur, maybe a Hound to go with it, Black and Tan Coonhound? And a true fighter, so the other two don't get hurt, something big and mean.

This is my last pack, not all mine but all related.

The one in the middle, with the choke chain, was mine, he is in dog heaven now. He was born hating Fox, Jackal or Yotes. He'd spread a Fox in a ten foot circle of guts and gore in minutes.

Food for thought, Dalmatians are runners, sometimes a handful for people who buy for cute with little forethought. Hard to find a dog with more stamina than a Dalmatian. Likely to be more than a few for adoption around. German Shorthair is always a good bet, strong prey drive, good nose and they bay.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 04-08-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Spike

Had a good pack of dogs, that was long ago.

If I was going to start a new pack I'd likely start out with a Catahoula Cur, maybe a Hound to go with it, Black and Tan Coonhound? And a true fighter, so the other two don't get hurt, something big and mean.

This is my last pack, not all mine but all related.

Those look like some good dogs. What do you think about a pack that had greyhounds,redbones. I am having trouble with the last one. What do you think about an Alaskan malamute or Cane Corso?

Last edited by Huntley; 04-08-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Huntley
Those look like some good dogs. What do you think about a pack that had greyhounds,redbones. I am having trouble with the last one. What do you think about an Alaskan malamute or Cane Corso?
Malamute was one of my fighters, the other was a giant German Shepard. Malamute tend to overheat, at least in the south west where I used to live. That long hair protects them from getting bitten or clawed, which is a real plus in a fight. Mine tended to go for the legs.

The giant Shepard was an adoption, the guy who had him couldn't keep him home, he was always out chasing Yotes, he fit into my pack really well. When I say giant, I mean nearly as big as a Great Dane, some kind of freak.

Big and mean is one thing, being able to live with it is another. I kind of shy away from fighting dogs, many of the fighting dog breeds have been ruined.

I have no experience with a Redbone, but they seem to be pretty typical hounds.

Pure Greyhounds aren't often used, strong prey drive, no brains, hard to train.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:25 PM
Spike

Malamute was one of my fighters, the other was a giant German Shepard. Malamute tend to overheat, at least in the south west where I used to live. That long hair protects them from getting bitten or clawed, which is a real plus in a fight. Mine tended to go for the legs.

The giant Shepard was an adoption, the guy who had him couldn't keep him home, he was always out chasing Yotes, he fit into my pack really well. When I say giant, I mean nearly as big as a Great Dane, some kind of freak.

Big and mean is one thing, being able to live with it is another. I kind of shy away from fighting dogs, many of the fighting dog breeds have been ruined.

I have no experience with a Redbone, but they seem to be pretty typical hounds.

Pure Greyhounds aren't often used, strong prey drive, no brains, hard to train.
That Greman Shepard sounds pretty cool. I was think with the greyhound if I could find one having it crossed with a border collie hopefully to make it a little smarter and easier to train. And I plan to live further north so hopefully over heating wouldn't be to much of a problem with the mal.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Type in Predator University (Tony Tebbe) and view some of His Coyote Hunting tactics.He runs dogs and they usually stay within range and don't stray off,plus the Dogs are well trained and have Collars on them.He use to be on Predator Masters a lot but now He does a lot of Private Guided Predator Hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.