Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
First time eating squirrel experience >

First time eating squirrel experience

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First time eating squirrel experience

Old 09-06-2016, 06:27 AM
Spike

Default First time eating squirrel experience

Hi there,

I just wanted to share my first experience hunting and eating squirrels in my life. I would like to mention this was my first hunting experience. First time skinning, cleaning, butchering an animal.

This past weekend I grabbed my .22 with iron sights and rushed to the woods. I used the stalking method to get some hunting practice. It was surprisingly more difficult than I thought it was going to be. Up there, in the green mountains, those damn squirrels are pretty shy. It took me an hour or two to learn how to track the sounds they make, and to stalk them successfully to get them on my sights.

I got 2 of them, right on the head. One pretty big squirrel, and a small one. I had a lot of fun skinning and cleaning the animal, maybe even more than shooting them. I decided to make a tomato - white wine - apple cider vinegar based stew with them. I put them on low heat for about an hour, then browned them with butter on my well seasoned cast iron. Then proceeded to make the stew. The big squirrel had a lot of meat, but it took an incredibly long time to fall of the bone. I tried both after browning them, just to see how they tasted plain. The big one was so tough and chewy, I couldn't even eat it, the small one, was OK.

After finishing the stew, I have to admit, that small squirrel meat tasted incredibly good. It was dark, tender, and very flavorful, comparable to good duck I would say. People say "tastes like chicken", but it tastes much better than chicken, maybe a little like chicken wings. The big squirrel though, wasn't as good, almost a different animal. I gave the meat from the small squirrel to my wife, and she loved it, she wants more. I ate the big one, and even though it was chewy, still liked it better than chicken.

Next time I get a big squirrel, I'll drop it in the crock pot the whole day to soften it more. Small squirrel, I'll try them fried. But can't wait to get out there and get some more squirrels!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

yeah older squirrels sometimes need a little finessing.....crock pot is good or you can either parboil or pressure cook them first then prepare as you would normally

i love to squirrel hunt, enjoy
Old 09-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

As you found out it is best to cook squirrels first then fry or debone before eating. I start off in vinegar or wine splashed in water for about 15 min. then pour out/clean up pot and add salt to water till tender. The crockpot method will work too, but I cook them until the meat starts to break away from the backbone, then you know its about done, or you can tell by fork tender method. Some folks even use a pressure cooker to soften them up.

I have eaten them in mushroom soup in crockpot and made squirrel pot pie, but my favorite way is to fry them after cooking and roll in flour till golden brown. Best meat in the woods!!

FYI, there is a small gland under each front leg armpit that should be removed when cleaning, that will help with the better tasting meat on squirrels too.

I will be getting out as soon as this hot weather is over....

Last edited by toytruck; 09-06-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Lots of ways to cook squirrel. I think I can tell the younger ones once skinned from the older ones too but I've been around nearly 7 decades.

I like bacon wrapped baked squirrel best.

I also get more squirrels quicker if I find a likely spot in the woods and set down and wait. Can many times get a 5 squirrel limit in a half hour or less.

Al
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper

I like bacon wrapped baked squirrel best.
Al
Would you share your bacon wrap squirrel recipe? sounds really good....
Old 09-09-2016, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

A friends recipe for bacon wrapped squirrel

squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are
~ beer
~ garlic powder
~ pepper
~ salt
~ minced onion
~ hickory smoked bacon

Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion (or if you have a favorite dry rub for grilled squirrel you can use that instead).

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill (charcoal grill recommended for a nice smoky flavor, although a gas or electric grill will do the trick). Cook over medium heat until cooked through, tend to the meat as your cooking to make sure you do not over cook.

Brothers wife's recipe

Squirrel Legs
Olive Oil
Soy Sauce
Bacon as per your Need
Flour
Bread Crumbs
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Paprika
Black Pepper

Directions

1. Take Squirrel Legs as per your requirement. Mix Soy Sauce, Olive Oil and Squirrel Legs and put it in a Zip Lock bag. Put the bag into the refrigerator for about 20 hours.
2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Remove the bacon out of it and leave the Fat part in Skillet.
3. Remove and drain the legs.
4. In a large bowl, combine some flour and bread crumbs. Season to taste with the garlic and onion powders, paprika, chipotle and black peppers.
5. Add a little oil to the bacon fat if necessary and heat them. Dredge the legs in the flour mixture and add to the hot oil. Turn to brown on all sides. Once they become brown, remove them and drain on paper towels.
6. Place the legs on a rack placed in a shallow baking dish. Add a cup or so of water to the pan. Place the bacon strips on top of the legs and cover with foil.
7. Bake at 250 – 275 degrees until tender, at least 3 -4 hours. Depends how many you are cooking and how long you can hold off eating them

My own bacon wrapped bakes squirrel.

Amount of squirrel per family needs, For just wife and I, 4 works.

4 whole dressed squirrels soaked in salt water for 6 hours, removed from that and placed in a marinate od liquid smoke minced garlic and minced onion for 24 hours.

Remove from marinate salt and pepper.

wrap each squirrels with enough bacon to make a nice warm blanket for them.
Place on a raised baking rack above a cookie sheet.
Bake for 3 hours at 250F.

When grilling squirrel to get a good smoky flavor soak your favorite wood chips in water till completely soaked. Place on a sheet of alum foil (or buy a wood chip grilling box) fold the foil into a nice packet and put some slits on the top side only. Lay packet slit side up on the coals or burners of the grill close lid.

Smoke box for grill.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 09-09-2016 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:27 AM
Fork Horn

Squirrel is very good if coked right, I usually fry them like you would chicken and make country gravy to go with them (and biscuits). They remind me of eating blue crabs, you have to have some time on your hands to eat, since there is a lot of picking through bones to get at the meat.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
A friends recipe for bacon wrapped squirrel

squirrel legs, front or rear, amount depends upon how hungry you are
~ beer
~ garlic powder
~ pepper
~ salt
~ minced onion
~ hickory smoked bacon

Soak the legs in beer for 2 – 3 hours. Remove and drain.

Sprinkle to taste with garlic powder, pepper, salt and the minced onion (or if you have a favorite dry rub for grilled squirrel you can use that instead).

Wrap each leg with bacon. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.

Place on hot grill (charcoal grill recommended for a nice smoky flavor, although a gas or electric grill will do the trick). Cook over medium heat until cooked through, tend to the meat as your cooking to make sure you do not over cook.

Brothers wife's recipe

Squirrel Legs
Olive Oil
Soy Sauce
Bacon as per your Need
Flour
Bread Crumbs
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Paprika
Black Pepper

Directions

1. Take Squirrel Legs as per your requirement. Mix Soy Sauce, Olive Oil and Squirrel Legs and put it in a Zip Lock bag. Put the bag into the refrigerator for about 20 hours.
2. Cook the bacon in a large skillet. Remove the bacon out of it and leave the Fat part in Skillet.
3. Remove and drain the legs.
4. In a large bowl, combine some flour and bread crumbs. Season to taste with the garlic and onion powders, paprika, chipotle and black peppers.
5. Add a little oil to the bacon fat if necessary and heat them. Dredge the legs in the flour mixture and add to the hot oil. Turn to brown on all sides. Once they become brown, remove them and drain on paper towels.
6. Place the legs on a rack placed in a shallow baking dish. Add a cup or so of water to the pan. Place the bacon strips on top of the legs and cover with foil.
7. Bake at 250 – 275 degrees until tender, at least 3 -4 hours. Depends how many you are cooking and how long you can hold off eating them

My own bacon wrapped bakes squirrel.

Amount of squirrel per family needs, For just wife and I, 4 works.

4 whole dressed squirrels soaked in salt water for 6 hours, removed from that and placed in a marinate od liquid smoke minced garlic and minced onion for 24 hours.

Remove from marinate salt and pepper.

wrap each squirrels with enough bacon to make a nice warm blanket for them.
Place on a raised baking rack above a cookie sheet.
Bake for 3 hours at 250F.

When grilling squirrel to get a good smoky flavor soak your favorite wood chips in water till completely soaked. Place on a sheet of alum foil (or buy a wood chip grilling box) fold the foil into a nice packet and put some slits on the top side only. Lay packet slit side up on the coals or burners of the grill close lid.

Smoke box for grill.

Al
Thanks! I like yours the best since you use the whole squirrel..
The best meat (to me) is the back along the backbone (squirrel tenderloins) lol
Old 09-18-2016, 04:20 PM
Spike

Salt pepper flour
Sear in oil to cover the bottom of 10 qt dutch oven
Remove squirrel pcs. Add four to oil mand make a brown gravy
add squirrel to gravy and simmer until tender

Cook up some good old fashioned cat head biscuits and you are set
Old 12-12-2016, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I parboiled a few of them and grill them like you would chicken wings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.