Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Illinois Coyote Hunt

Old 02-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Spike

Default Illinois Coyote Hunt

Next week I'll be spending a few days hunting/filming coyotes in Illinois with another veteran. Weather is going to be mid to upper 40's, but it sure beats sitting at home on the couch. Hopefully I'll have a lot of pics and video to share when we get back.

Anyone else still out there chasing coyotes?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

We hunt coyotes a lot, at least 4 times a week weather perminting. Never have chased them how ever, we call them to us.

It is now legal to hunt coyotes in Michigan 12 months a year, second summer coming up.

Al
Old 02-09-2017, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

I enjoy hunting coyotes in the daytime but also use the full moon , don't get to go 4 times a week but if I had thermal I think I'd find more time. Anybody got a good affordable recommendation for thermal ? Also just started trapping them , like that too ! Be safe, have fun , take and teach kid
Old 02-09-2017, 06:32 AM
Spike

My work schedule is kind of nice being that I can hunt 3-4 days a week every week. I've been slacking on my predator hunting this winter because of other projects, but after this trip I'll be out there several days a week back here in Minnesota. One thing I started doing and will be doing a lot more from here on out, is bringing my German Shepherd out there with me. Whenever I'm calling, he's yipping, howling or just making other typical K9 sounds that are more real than we'll ever get with our mouth blown or electronic game calls. Plus he's good company. lol I don't use him like you see in a lot of videos though where they send them loose and have them run back. He stays with me on a 15 foot leash. I've got a lot of coyote hunting to get done before turkey season rolls in.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I kill them every chance I get + I set-up to shoot them whenever I can.

Calling them is always cool....................especially when they come in, in groups !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

I went with a group of guys last weekend. They were running them with dogs, but it was still tough going. I'm no expert on hunting with dogs, but apparently the scent trail can dissipate faster when its warm and dry. Plus, it was just warm enough that the dogs were starting to slow down a bit. Anyway, we still managed to few.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never dog ran a yote. Actually never even heard tell of anyone else doing it either! What dogs did the use CJ? Walkers? (Basically just a tall Beagle with long legs) Regular Beagles wouldn't have the foot speed I wouldn't imagine for Yotes. As far as scent being better with moisture. That is 100% correct. The moisture traps the scent better holding it to the ground or whatever foliage it is on.

As far as the OP goes, I yote hunt just about every other night. I wait for my Beagles to get yippi letting me know there is something out there, hit the lights, and let whatever rifle I have next to the door bark a couple times 11 years and they still haven't learned yet huh!
Old 02-20-2017, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Guy down the road from me runs Plotts.
Was telling me a while back he is having problems running them here.
Lot of people are complaining about the trespassing.

Al
Old 02-20-2017, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, they were using walker coonhounds to run the coyotes. Really impressive dogs, if you ask me.

The landowners around where we were hunting don't seem to mind the coyote hunting, as long as you don't go out and cut ruts all over the place. Also, the guys in the group we were hunting with were pretty good about knowing the landowners and calling ahead, before driving back on private property.

Its actually pretty interesting to me, to see a totally different style of hunting than I am accustomed to. Around my neck of the woods, running coyotes with dogs would not be tolerated at all, and people would have the game warden called in no time flat. A mere 2 hours' drive from home, and its almost a completely different culture. I find that pretty fascinating, and its definitely cool to have the opportunity to experience that kind of thing.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Super,

You do know that some guyz use dogs to "Troll" for coyotes.

They send the dog (often with an E-collar on) out into an open area; and then once the coyote presents him/herself they shoot the coyote.

Not my "cup of tea", but I have seen it done - very successfully too !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.