Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Illinois Coyote Hunt

Old 02-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Super,

You do know that some guyz use dogs to "Troll" for coyotes.

They send the dog (often with an E-collar on) out into an open area; and then once the coyote presents him/herself they shoot the coyote.

Not my "cup of tea", but I have seen it done - very successfully too !!!
I've heard of that method, but have never seen it done before. I can only imagine the amount of training a decoy dog needs to pull that off.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most common method of "dogging yotes" is with greyhounds. Throw a dog box with a remote door control on a flatbed, drive around in pastures until you spot one, rip the cord and watch the race ensue.

I don't go out as often as I used to, but I still make it home occasionally to go out with my uncle who still keeps a fleet of hounds. The greyhounds are a LOT faster than coyotes, but it's still pretty amazing to see how far a coyote can make it sometimes, or even make a clean escape.

There's a whole mess of training and selection to it - which dog is your sight hound, who is your catch hound, and which dogs just catch up for the kill.

Also, it tends to be a really great way to knock axles out from under trucks, I have found.

I've only been decoy dogging once, it's pretty amazing in itself too. Send the decoy dog out to get their territorial response, then on command, they lure the coyote back to the gunner. If you have an interest in it, check out Tony Tebbe's Predator University videos, he's made a killing on guided decoy dog hunts.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Every time I go out its Coyote Season Time!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Missed an opportunity off the hood of my car at about 500 yards on Presidents Day !!!

I'm still mad...................................