Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrel hunting midwest

Old 10-26-2003, 01:02 PM

Default squirrel hunting midwest

what is the best method for baiting for squirrels? anyone know?
Old 10-26-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Like I said

in the thread baiting squirrels. It' s a waste of time. Squirrel hunting, especially for new or younger hunters should be a time where they learn to hone their hunting skills. Learn to read the woods you hunt in. learn to identify the trees squirrels feed in, like hickory, beech, and oak. Squirrels actually prefer the white oak over the red oak, also look for black walnut trees.

Find a corn field boarding any of the hardwoods, squirrels love corn. Learn to stalk up to a certain tree, being as quite as possible. Sharpen up on your shooting skills. Why would you want to bait squirrels in the first place. Find a set of woods, one on different sides of the road. And with a buddy, have contest to see which one of you can get a limit of squirrels first. And set a time limit so the two of you have meet back at a certain time. This type of hunting should be fun. Squirrels are the easiest of small game to hunt. Don' t make this hard. Get out in the woods and sit and wait for the squirrels, still hunt for them. Listen to the different sounds in the woods. You can actually hear the squirrels shelling the nuts. Then sneak up to the tree and try and find the squirrel.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:48 PM

Default RE: squirrel hunting midwest

I ask this because I don' t always hunt in one place particularly. Sometimes I sit and listen for a while and see and hear few signs of squirrels, but I know they' re there. My shooting skills are quite decent as I have been a marksman much longer than a hunter. As a hunter I am as novice as can be, so I thought I' d get some advice before I waste my time, so thanks for your response. :-)