Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

need advise guys

Old 01-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default need advise guys

Got a cat problem ,it killed or ate someone's doe (taken illegality on my place ) and has capped and buried it ( right by my stand ) haven't caught him on film but have moved camera and should soon . Also got a coyote and at least one pup . Properties super thick and 2 deep ravines that have a flat wooded top . Tree stands on the back edge of the flat .do bobcats come at night , I've seen 3 in daytime but never a shot. Any old time tricks and just any knowledge I can gain as far as habits, hours,I've heard hang a white chicken wing that curiosity killed the cat, but that's all I got , thanks so much for teaching me ,thanks
Old 01-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Which is it, killed or ate? If it was a cat kill how can it be an illegal kill? What state are you in?
Old 01-14-2017, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wish I had something for you, my encounters with Bobcat always seemed kind of random. Always seemed to be a glimpse when they cross a road or when the wind is bad for them (blowing towards me) I'd catch a glimpse of them moving on an oblique, going someplace, coming from somewhere. I've never watched one hunt.

Only common thread I can think of is I always saw them near water. I'm from arid country, small seeps and rain traps in the rocks are the norm, full year streams and such are rare. The seeps also attract a lot of Rabbits and other small game.

If it doesn't come back to feed off the Deer, I'd check for tracks in the bank/mud near water. If your lucky the Cat may come back to the same spot or area to drink.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks ,not sure how it died, I honestly think someone shot a deer and took back legs and Backstrap ,all I know is I found the head and hide and one front leg attached but eaten ,hair everywhere one evening and the next morning it's all gone but the hair ,I'm in the north central Texas - azle and Alvord are home for me.i think coyotes did the deer but this morning I noticed a large scrape and some leafs in a pile and discovered cat scat ,freshly buried -
Old 01-14-2017, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

It could be either or both that scavenged the carcass. I don't see where you have evidence of a cat problem.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same kind of set up as coyote hunting.

Use more bird type calls + they take longer to "come in".

Decoys always help - even if it is a feather on a string.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Think someone poached a deer and thought a coyote finished it but it could have been killed by them , don't think so have found 4 dead fawns last year all killed in bedding area and not eaten just run down and killed .blamed the coyote cause my camera on a den hole got one that came out and came back 10 minutes later with dinner In its mouth. Have killed three , still have found scat from an adult and a pup .know I got a cat problem seen him after a rabbit once , very large 2ft tall 2.5 ft long . This morning I noticed found a large scrape ( think it's yotes marking territory, have found same scratches or scraps made in my yard , I have a territorial chocolate lab) but I also noticed some ground had been scratched into a pile . Uncovered large fresh cat scat . Way to big to be a regular cat .
Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

I was hoping old timer or someone who had trapping experience could help me lure or draw the cat in and I'll get the coyotes . Thinking I'll pick up a couple leg traps from gander mountain if yall can give me some tips , I got the trap idea and read old timers tips about dad's bait and some others . Thanks again for any help , you can never know enough. Be safe and blessed. I appreciate ya
Old 01-15-2017, 03:53 AM
Banned

if it's obvious that predators are feeding on it, set up a hundred yards or so from it . get there before first light and stay for a few hours.shoot whatever comes in or simply wait till cat shows. even if nothing left but bones he will probably still show up eventually.
or, you could set some traps. bobbies are not really that hard to trap once you learn the techniques
Old 01-15-2017, 04:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

A piece of foil hanging on a string as a curiosity lure works for bobcats. There should be tracks around where the carcass was covered up, it isn't hard to tell cat tracks from coyote tracks. Yes cats hunt at night as well as daylight. It would not be characteristic of bobcats not to eat part of a kill, dogs will do that though. Do you have neighbors that allow their dogs to run?

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-15-2017 at 04:04 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.